Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We've purposely kept our kids sharing rooms, even though we have the space for them not too. There are several reasons for us. In my opinion, it reduces the sense of entitlement and forces them to learn how to cooperate. They seem to get along better and be closer. They're learning how to be respectful of each others things and space. It also makes some of them feel safer and more secure.
There are some downsides, but it's more on my side. Because my kids have really widespread ages, it's harder to enforce some things. For example, I"m still waking up my 12 year old, rather than using the alarm, as he shares a room with his 6 year old brother. I'm also still doing his laundry, because it all ends up in the same pile.
Eventually I'll be changing the dynamics. My plan is eventually to move the 12 year old into the basement bedroom, and the littlest boy out of his sister's bedroom and in with the 6 year old boy. However, it's my oldest that really feels safe sharing a room so I suspect I'll have a "boys" room with all three boys, and only my daughter will have her own room.
We have small bedrooms, so there are very few toys in the bedrooms.