Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I have been considering fostering and/or adopting for decades, and I periodically look at profiles of adoptable kids. It's been at least 15 years since I went to an information meeting, so to move forward, I'd have to start at the very beginning.
This week, I saw a sibling group of four boys, 8 yo and up. Their profiles really captured my attention and I can't stop thinking about them.
Aside from any issues with these particular boys and whether a single mom would be a good fit, I'm not sure my house is big enough. From strictly a housing point of view, am I in the right circumstances to even consider going forward?
They'd have to share 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. After I was about 6 I never had to share a bedroom and only had to share a bathroom with 1 person. I feel like I wouldn't be giving them very much space, but I realize not everyone had my experience.
I'd appreciate your thoughts on this. My apologies if I missed a similar thread in the archives; I'd be happy to be pointed in the right direction if it has been covered before.
Thanks for your time.
Welcome!
It depends on your local regulations. Some places you need a certain amount of square footage per child for the bedroom. I'm in PA and my agency didn't measure the bedrooms at all, but they are large.
I'm single also looking for up to 4 siblings :) Good luck!
Advertisements
Where I am our square footage requirements are actually pretty minimal, maybe more than I would feel comfortable with. However, I don't think kids need their own rooms or bathrooms. I had my own room after I was 6, but I was the only girl. My room was also quite small. My brothers shared. Our home had one bathroom. I would think beyond the bedroom space. Would your home feel crowded with four kids? How do you think you would respond? Do you have outdoor as well as indoor space, for play? Those things can make a big difference.
Thanks Hoping2adoptsibs and ruth74.
It's funny you mention requirements, I hadn't even thought about the fact that the State might have an opinion.
It's an older house, so the bedrooms aren't huge, but I think they're adequate. They certainly meet the 40' or 50' square feet per child requirements I found various places. There's a decent amount of storage space in the bathroom, it just seems like it might be a challenge for 4 boys to share it.
The rest of the house does have room to spread out, a decent backyard, and a large front yard.
These boards have been great for reading from people who have been there and getting lots of ideas on things I didn't know about adoption and given me things to consider. Thanks for all the great information!
I wouldn't worry about the kids,how they fell about sharing a bedroom.I don't think they'll care to much.I know,As a kid,I shared my room with kids,all the time.I think there usualy 2 kids per bedrooms,unless a rooms really tiny.U could leave a name and phone #.But you will have to get a home study done and other stuff to get the ball rolling.So u need leave info today,start calling the county to see,were to start.
It doesn't hurt to go to the meeting again and learn what the requirements are. There is a good chance that by the time you get the paperwork and training and homestudy done those four boys might not be available, but there will be other kids looking for a home.
Advertisements