Advertisements
Advertisements
Is there anyone who has adopted or is hoping to adopt that already has biological children? Is this more difficult to do? Can I still use LDS family Services? It lists as one of its criteria documented infertility. Any information would be much appreciated!
I can't help you. We are trying to adopt from foster care. I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I have gotten so much help here both with our first adoption experience 8 years ago and again this time.
Good luck!
Advertisements
The specific policies of LDSFS would need to be addressed directly with them. However, for each type of family wanting a child, there is a birth family wanting that same family situation for them.
It isn't "harder" one way or the other. There is no "easy" in adoption. There is only timing and visibility. You could be seen by 100 birth families, or 1 birth family. The odds aren't increased or decreased of being matched. It is a matter of the right birth family looking at the time you are waiting to adopt, and looking in the spot you've put yourself out there in.
I have heard of birth families wanting their child to have older siblings. I have heard of birth families caring very much or not at all about the siblings also being adopted. When it's right, it's right. Most birth families don't set out with a specific situation in mind, they just find the one that feels like they're already family to them. And, then they see if there's anything negative that sticks out that would eliminate that feeling.
If you don't go through LDSFS, there are TONS of other agencies you could use.
LDSFS recently changed their policy. They now require a doctor to fill out a form giving proof of infertility. They now only work with couples with 2 or fewer children. If you browse the its about love website and see larger families, they were in the system before the policy changed. It sounds like you will have to work with another agency or try for a private adoption. Best of luck to you.
I would double check with LDSFS, if I were you. The way I understood it when we spoke with our caseworker about the changes is this: If you have more than two children, you can still have LDSFS handle many of your adoption-related needs, such as your home study and the placement; however, they will not list you on the itsaboutlove.org website.
From our family's experience with adoption, we have had very little contact as a result of being on LDSFS's website, and have had a lot more contact as a result of being listed on other websites. We are currently matched and waiting for our second child to be born (due on March 30th--yay!). So if you can have LDSFS handle your adoption and then create a profile to be listed online elsewhere, I think it is totally worth it. That's what my husband and I have done both times.
I'm not sure about the infertility requirement, though, and am not sure whether you and your spouse have secondary infertility (infertility after having biological children), so you will probably want to speak with a caseworker about that.
I hope this is helpful information. Navigating the adoption world can be tricky! Best of luck to you and your family.