Advertisements
Advertisements
hi guys~well, i'm now over 50, and i finally decided it's time to discover my true roots. i was adopted in miami beach in 1959, at 2 months old. the social worker told my ( adopted) mom, that she hopes she doesn't have a "problem" with me, that i'm a quarter Cherokee indian. my loving mother of course replied " that makes her a little more american than most of us, doesn't it!". i now have three children, 2 grandchildren, and it's growing more important for me to find my true heritage. but, in florida, the records are sealed. i stumbled onto this page, and would appreciate anyone's help in guiding me on any procedures i can start to find out once and for all about who i really am. thanks for your help in advance, it's been a subject i've tucked away for so many years...it's a little scary even thinking about it, let alone writing about it. good luck to everyone out there just like me. i hope you had wonderful parents who adopted you, like i did. i guess that's how i have the courage to even start. God bless
Are you wanting to search for your birth family? My son's adoption records were sealed, but I think he could have petitioned to have them opened as an adult, had he lived. Regardless, I know who his birth family is and have quite a bit of contact with them. If you have a name, that's a place to start. He was full Omaha/Santee by the way.
margik
hi guys~well, i'm now over 50, and i finally decided it's time to discover my true roots. i was adopted in miami beach in 1959, at 2 months old. the social worker told my ( adopted) mom, that she hopes she doesn't have a "problem" with me, that i'm a quarter Cherokee indian. my loving mother of course replied " that makes her a little more american than most of us, doesn't it!". i now have three children, 2 grandchildren, and it's growing more important for me to find my true heritage. but, in florida, the records are sealed. i stumbled onto this page, and would appreciate anyone's help in guiding me on any procedures i can start to find out once and for all about who i really am. thanks for your help in advance, it's been a subject i've tucked away for so many years...it's a little scary even thinking about it, let alone writing about it. good luck to everyone out there just like me. i hope you had wonderful parents who adopted you, like i did. i guess that's how i have the courage to even start. God bless
Advertisements
You can use the ICWA laws to obtain whatever information needed to register with the tribe. You have to go to court, but you are entitled to whatever information is required enroll in the Cherokee tribe. This would probably be the role numbers, and likely name, of whatever biological family member is an enrolled tribal member.
Thank You Guys For Your Replies. I Live In Florida, Where The Records Are Sealed. I Have No Names, No Information, Just What The Social Worker Told My Parents 50 Years Ago. If I Called The Agency, Would They Be Aware Of Any Laws / Rights Reguarding Indian Heritage? I Guess That Would Be A Start. I Told My Children About This, And They Are So Excited. I Didn't Realize Their Heritage Is Important Them Too! I Hope I Don't Hit Dead Ends, Being In A State Where Records Are Closed. I Appreciate Your Help !
Advertisements
If you Google ICWA and opening adoption records you will find tons of information. The bottom line is ICWA is a federal law that creates good cause to open records. You may not get all the information you want but you, or the tribe, is entitled to any information required to enroll you in the tribe. Occassionally, they will release information directly to the tribe and you may not be allowed to see it. You will need an attorney and any information the adoption agency had suggesting Native American ancestry will probably be helpful.