Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Generally, and I think this is the case in most areas, there is a huge dichotomy between the number of minority foster homes and the number minority foster kids. In our area 75% of the foster homes are mostly CC, while the number of kids in foster care who are of a non CC race is about 60%.
So, yes...while it is preferable to place a child with a foster family who is of the same race, it isn't always possible. I think the general feeling in my area is that if you are going to hold out for a child who is the same race as you, you will be waiting a long time (unless you're a minority race).
Also, FWIW...they don't always know the race when they call, especially for a newborn. We've had 3 kids (different placements) that we were called and told they were CC. When we got them it was obvious each time that they were not CC. In my area they go by what the BP identifies them self as at the time of placement. So if you have a CC mother, and an absent AA father, they may call you for a CC child who is in fact bi-racial.