Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Focalin XR
could be the wrong dosage or just the wrong med.
Intuniv is actually what our p-doc prescribed for Bubba to help manage his tics. he had them prior to taking the Focalyn, so we knew that could be an issue. in general, it's the ADHD stimulant drugs that tend to cause the tics.
for my son, when the tics break through, it's because it's time to change meds or lower the dose. paradoxically, sometimes raising it helps. go figure. for Bubba, it's always a balancing act.
without anything at all, he tics like a clock--noises, winking/blinking/grimacing, stuttering, a huffing of breath, rocking, lip licking, and head shaking. i've counted over 30 iterations in the time it takes him to say "my name is Bubba." when he's on Focalyn alone, we are a twitchy mess. add the Intuniv and it generally calms down. right now i'm seeing all kinds of breakthrough. it's time to change again.
Focalyn has worked for him for about 3 years. before that it was Methalyn. the tics were outrageous, even with the Intuniv. like a pp said, it's a tinkering process. when Bubba first went on, the doc had him on a transition schedule to incrementally increase his dose until we found the minimum that worked. it took 3 or 4 weeks to bring him up to his therapeutic level.
hope you find the answers your child needs.