Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Focalin XR
Bamamom07
My son really does not like his focalin, says it makes him "BORING". He will occasionally decide to only pretend to take it so he can enjoy feeling hyper. Could yours be doing the same thing??
So funny that you and Linda both mentioned this. Actually, he DID dispose of the pill one morning. He had had a terrible day, and I confronted him about whether or not he actually swallowed the pill. He admitted he threw it in the trash because it made his stomach hurt.
That was THAT morning. But on the morning in question, dh watched him swallow it. So, who knows? Maybe he threw it up. (He can do that at will.)
The good news is that since then, the Focalin XR has been working very well. No further episodes like the one in my OP. In fact, his speech therapist said that he is so improved on his medication that he may not need her anymore. He's able to accurately complete any activity she gives him (sequencing, inferencing, etc.) and he speaks much clearer. She wants to re-test him on his med to see how he does.
The bad news is two-fold:
First, it wears off at about 4pm and he reverts back to his old behaviors (Dr. is giving an Rx for 5mg regular strength to get him through to bedtime) and
Second, he's having trouble sleeping (so we're gonna give him more Focalin??). The poor kid went to bed at 8pm and was still awake after 11pm last night. I'd been giving him 1/2 of a 3mg Melatonin but the doctor said I could up it to the whole 3mg. So we tried that tonight and he still had trouble falling asleep. I think we need more quiet time before actually turning out the lights.
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions! Like many of you, we're taking it one day at a time.