Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I know I am coming into this thread late but man I can soooooooo see my daughter in your daughter.
My daughter has sensory issues and a learning disability which makes her coordination difficult. She struggles with finer details of laces and buttons ect...
When she starts to "panic" and melt down over the task ahead of her I look at her and have her look me right in the eyes. I say " you can, you are smarter than you give yourself credit for and I believe in you you can do this" and then I ask her to say it to me "I can do this" we breathe for a minute and then she tries again. Often she can then do it. I will help if she has put in a valiant effort.
We also struggle with the home work. "I can't, I don't understand ect.." We often will just put it away and try it again in a bit if the trantrum of melt down starts. That has been a huge struggle for us. I also give her great praise when she get's it right and tell her she must have her "smart brain" on today. I also remind her that all those things she has learned are in her box in her brain and when she can't remember she needs to open her box to help find the answers. She has some trouble with frontal lobe current memory so she infact does know the information she just can't recall it thus the box idea.
Good Luck with your girl.