Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I think I can somewhat understand your feelings and why you feel the need to find out more about this.
It seems a little odd to me that an adoption agency would have no more contact with you than a phone call and not ask you to sign a relinquishment. I don't know how things are done in Canada, but I know that agencies in the US would have required that, by the late 90s.
I also don't know what the laws are about searching, there. I know that, for example, in Arizona, a birth parent is permitted to search when the child turns 21. My second child's birth mother did that, and has had a relationship with her ever since. I found my third child's birth mom on the internet when he was 19, and that has worked out very well. Fortunately, in Germany, where we adopted him, they gave the adoptive parents the full name and birth date of the birth mother. He has also spoken to his birth father, who was just barely 16 when he was born.
I think, with the age that the child would be, now, it wouldn't be the best time for a reunion. It would probably be best for him to be 18 or older. In the meantime, you can keep trying to find more information that might help you get closer. I'm sorry I don't know anything about the laws where you live, so I can't help.
Congratulations on getting your life going better, and the family you have now! I have a teenaged son I am hoping and praying will get his life turned around one of these days, too.
Noelani