Advertisements
Advertisements
Adoption seemed like the only reasonable option for me. I just wanted my baby to have a family. My family wasn't supportive of the pregnancy. Her father refused to acknowledge me when I refused to terminate. My choice to not terminate caused me to lose everything that mattered to me. I still couldn't abort.
Adoption was the right thing to do. She'll have a family. Siblings, grandparents, a mom & a dad... All I had was myself! Or so I thought....
I was matched with a beautiful family. PAmom became my best friend. She was there for me to talk to & relate with. My friends and family weren't supportive of the pregnancy at all, I felt betrayed so I decided to spare myself the criticism and not share my plans with them right away.
Over the months my family began to stop criticizing. My friends became more interested in my progress. I, for the most part was always very short with issues regarding the LO. I never posted her ultrasound pictures on facebook. Never posted belly pictures either. When people would say did you pick a name I'd simply reply no.
While I didn't plan to get pregnant and give this baby away.... What else could I do? For all I knew at the time I didn't have anyone to help me in any way especially emotionally. How could I parent knowing that I lost everyone I loved and this child would have no one in this world other than myself?
As time went by I started to realize there could be hope.. People started stopping by, calling offering to help. It caused alot of confusion.... When I made the decision to place my baby I did so because I thought I'd never get my family back if I didn't. How could I raise a baby without my famiy helping?
I began to consider the idea of parenting my child. I asked the PAPs and the agency for some space. I was torn, heart broken and confused. The agency backed off. PAmom kept texting. When I didn't answer she'd email me. She would say she was worried so of course I was guilted into replying. This went on for a couple weeks. Each time I'd remind her that I just needed space to think because I have been WAYYY TOOO EMOTIONAL!
I received a packet of pre adoption paper work on Friday.... I threw up when I read those documents. I decided to sleep on it and try again in the morning. That sleep never came. I was up all night crying. I knew that I had to tell these loving people that I made a huge mistake. It took me 12 hours to finish the email. I couldn't figure out what to say or how to say it. So I typed.... With tears in my eyes not knowing whether I should say I was certain or not... Is there hope or not.... I just wasn't sure because my emotions were and still are everywhere.
In the mist of all of this I was informed that my surprise baby shower was scheduled for Sunday!!!!!!!! WTHeck? baby shower?? Who cares that much? I didn't know what to say, I asked why I was getting a baby shower!! No good answer... I just turned my phone off so I could think.
Well... I sent the email... I apologized... I didn't expect a reply but I really wanted one. Even if it was just F-You B-word.... I really needed to hear something from them... This was saturday evening, still nothing. I understand they are hurt and it's my fault. However, for six months we were open and honest with each other about EVERYTHING. She told me no matter what happened she loved and respected me. She said I was strong and she believed in me. I guess I'm not the only one who changed my mind.
I know I'm wrong for being upset. I obviously made a mistake making an adoption plan in my situation. I should have considered what I wanted instead of letting everyone else determine my feelings about single parenting. I feel soooo bad and guilty for all of this.
My baby is due in 2 days and I have slept 15 hours in three days. I've had two nightmares that she is stillborn. I keep imagining her being dead. I'm hurt, terrified and scared. I want nothing more than to hold my baby girl in my arms and promise her the exact thing I promised her when I was matched with them. "I'll make sure you have a family who will unconditionally love you, nurture you, keep you safe and give you all you need." The only difference now is that I am determined to make it happen as opposed to depending onother people to do it for me.
Why do I feel so bad? So sad? I wanted her to have a family and she has one here with me and many people all around waiting for her arrival. I know I will get alot BS for this post. I see the way PAPs talk about "failed adoption" but I'm ready to hear it.
Hello everyone!! My LO is almost 8 months old. Time flies by so fast. It has been an amazing journey. I can't believe how wonderful parenting is!!! I'm am the luckiest person alive!! Her father decided to come in to the picture when she was 2 months old. He has been great since. We have been living together for three months and he proposed lat night!!!! I'm over joyed. We won't be getting married soon... I am glad to have my ring and be be engaged. He's a wonderful daddy to this little precious girl. My life.... My life is just amazing. I know that I'm her mother and I'm supposed to raise her to be a good person (not the other way around)... She has had an amazing effect on my outlook. I am so complete.
I thought about you all today. I just wanted to let you know we are happy, healthy and blessed. Our family is truly complete. She now has a father too :-)
Advertisements
How precious! I am so glad to read this update, congratulations and best wishes to you and your fianc.
Givingherafamily, congratulations to you! I am so happy to hear that things are working out so well!
FWIW, the guilt and pressure you felt over this issue is one of the reasons a growing number of people think that pre-birth matching shouldn't be done.
Also, the fact that the current system frames a change in plans as a "failure" is also very manipulative towards you. It is not your fault for "absorbing" that language or being guilted into the feelings you had when you began this thread. I hope you have been able to shed them by now.
Best wishes to you and your whole family.
Congrats!!!! What is she going to be for Halloween? So glad Dad is in the picture too and that you are all happy.
Advertisements
I'm so happy for you! Congratulations on your engagement. I'm glad to hear that your daughter is doing well. She's at an exciting age. I'm sure she is doing new things all the time, and each one is exciting to see!
Best wishes to you and your little family!
I cant imagine the situation your in. Changing your mind must have been the hardest decision you have ever made. I would like to tell you from a PAPs point of view what they may be going through.
Before we adopted our son we were matched with another couple who chose us. We were so excited, after 14 years and 3 stillbirths we were finally getting our dream. When they changed their minds we were in no way angry at them, but boy were we pi**ed off at the universe. We had opened our hearts, which after so many losses and dissapointments is not easy believe me. We had a nursery full of stuff and our plans all sorted and then out of nowhere we got a bombshell dropped on us. Like I said we were not mad at the parents, but in saying that when it first happened we were so distraught that we just could not string two words toghether and it took us a few weeks to contact them, also remember that they will be sitting there knowing that this baby will be born any day and that would be killing them, they are probably wondering if you are at the hospital having him right now. You have every right to change your mind and it does not make you a bad person but in this situation you are going to have to step back and give the PAPS the time to process this news. Good Luck with everything.
debamg,
This actually all happened quite awhile ago if you read the whole thread. I think the decision was made and things are good for the Mom and baby.
Advertisements
Advertisements
You are NOT a failure! Believe it or not many mothers that want to put their babies up for adoption decide against it in the last couple month of their pregnancy. You probably feel guilty and sad bc you became so close with the adoptive parents and were sure that you were going to give your baby to them at one point. It is okay to feel guilty and sad but don't overthink it too much. The adoptive parents should have been warned before going through with the adoption process that before anything is signed you can changed your mind.
Best of luck with your baby girl.
As an adoptive parent, I hate the phrase "failed adoption." Nobody failed. As an expecting parent, it is your RIGHT to decide what is best for you and the baby. I'm sorry you haven't heard back from the PAPs, perhaps they now need some time to process. For what it is worth, when we were in that situation and a wonderful woman we were matched with decided to parent instead of placing her son in our home, we did need a couple of days to process, but we are still friends with her and are happy to support her and her son (3 years since then). I'm so sorry you feel you've lost their support, it is THEIR loss! Also, congratulations! You chose to be her Momma! Hope all is going well for you!