Advertisements
Advertisements
Can anyone suggest help with adopting a child from the Bahamas? As missionaries I run across many children and my wife and I have fallen in love with one in particular. I am finding little information and it is very frustrating! Can anyone help me?
I would start with the State Department website. [url=http://adoption.state.gov/country_information/country_specific_info.php?country-select=the_bahamas]THE BAHAMAS | Intercountry Adoption[/url] This outlines who can adopt, who can be adopted, and the process.
Good luck!
Advertisements
Thank you --I have seen that site, but the difficulty is with finding an agency willing to work with the Bahamas. I was hoping someone here could shed some light....
Agencies don't work in the Bahamas because it's expensive to open a program overseas, and they would need to place quite a few children each year in order to cover the costs. In fact, so few Bahamian children are available for international adoption that any given agency might place no more than one child a year, far too little to sustain a program.
Also, most agencies want to work with kids who do not have advocates for their adoption, because those kids need the most help in finding permanent, loving homes. They also don't want to work with pre-identified kids because so many of them will not be eligible for immigration under U.S. law, and they don't want to disappoint the families.
Your best bet is to find a qualified adoption/immigration attorney in the U.S., who is willing to work with a Bahamian lawyer to bring about the adoption. I can recommend a qualified lawyer in the U.S. by private message if you want. I have no personal or professional ties with this immigration/adoption lawyer, but know that she is one of the best in the business, highly regarded by the American Bar Association, the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, and adoption professionals.
Sharon