Advertisements
Advertisements
It depends on the age of the child/ren you'd like to adopt. You're unlikely to adopt a 1-2 year old, as they are adopted in Poland quickly if they're healthy. Poland prefers no more than about 40 years' difference between the parent and child, but it also depends on the individual circumstance. I suspect they'd make exception for a special-needs adoption, for instance.
Advertisements
From what you are saying, it seems that Poland is yet another country that goes in extremes. Or perhaps, some prospective adoptive families only want infants.
No mater what their age! I am not one of them.
I have friends with children that range from 5 to 28. Only one is a grandparent. My friend with a 3 year old also has a 20 something. The little girl is her biological child and she had her at 44.
I don't even want a child THAT young! Perfect for me would be 7 - 10 give or take a year.
My daughter is 15 - will turn 16 seen, and would prefer a "little sister" not a twin, and certainly no one older than her. My son, is going away to college next year but this will still be his "home base" neither of them want more teens in the home - they are more interested in younger kids. Because they are only two grades apart, they never really had a much younger sibling. We need to take their needs in mind as well.
My husband also does not see the benefit in adopting a 14 year old. His point is the short amount of time we would have actually raising the child, instilling our values and bonding with the child.
I see his point.
We are also not interested in adopting a child with extreme mental or physical needs. We think that being older IS a special need and all of the literature we have read supports this.
It would seem that between an infant who is perfectly healthy and a 17 year old with a significant disability, there should be some "wiggle room" There are very special people who want to devote their lives to raising children who will never live independently, do not speak, or are terminally ill. God bless them! I really home that this does not sound selfish, but we just want to complete our family. Since my husband is in the health care field and I am a pediatric nurse, many people assume we would be perfect for this. I am not active as a nurse any longer and I am not registered any longer. We know how hard this would be.
We are also open to a sibling group of 2 or 3. As long as we can afford it.
I feel a connection to Poland because I am 1/4 Polish. We live in an area that is very Eastern European - especially Polish. Many Polish (from Poland or 1st generation) people wonder why it's so hard to adopt from Poland.
Do they look at the younger parent or the older?
Do many agencies work in Poland? Do rules vary by region? Is Poland still an option? Or should we look else where?
Thank you for any information you may have.
I believe they look at the younger parent, but again, it may depend on the region as much as anything else. Depending on your age, you may have no troubles adopting a 10 year old (if you're around 50). The guidelines in Poland are set by the government, not the region. If you're open to a sibling group, again, that will open more doors to you. The fees in Poland to adopt are not per-child, but fees such as Visa/Passport applications are, of course, per individual.
HTH.
Also, if you're open to a sibling group, then there seems to be a little bit of flexibility on the age of the youngest child, at least from people I've spoken to.
Anyone know (or even heard rumors) if there any changes or updates to the Poland process... anyone?
Just wondering if more people have been adopting from Poland since Russia has closed and Ukraine's process is so riddled with obstacles.
I cannot even enquire this with my agency that I trusted, as they have closed their doors for good. I wouldn't even know who to ask.
Within our marriage there is also Polish heritage!
Advertisements