Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
First the update...
The new guy was removed for risk of harm because another, unrelated, child was severely injured in the home. There were also messy home, neglectful personal care, mental illness, and drug issues with the parents. Mom and dad both live in the home and he's an only child.
Things are going surprisingly well since he was placed Thursday afternoon. I didn' get a honeymoon with my first kiddo so, if this is it, I'm enjoying it!
I had work that I couldn't skip out of on Friday so he came with me and played in the backroom while I did what I needed to do. We had to go to the office afterwards. Everyone was super nice and friendly to him so that was great and he played there reasonably well. It helps that him and my boss were having car races in the hallway.
I figured out Friday night the nightlight wasn't bright enough for him so I've left a low wattage lamp on for him and that's helped him fall asleep much faster than he did the first night.
We spent today at my folks' house. My brother and his family live there too (3 kids--5B, 2G, 1B). My oldest niece was also visiting. She's surprisingly very good at observing and picking up issues with children for an 18 yoa. BF came along too because the little ones get most upset with me when he doesn't. Just me is no longer good enough. :-)
I was warned about aggressiveness and lack of structure from the social worker. The lack of structure was definately noticed today! He was very quick to hit or shove the other kids, demanding, terrible at sharing and/or listening and had pretty much no table manners. Here's the thing though...if you stopped him, got down to him at eye level and said very clearly what you wanted then he would do it.
For example, he plowed right over the 1 yoa. Literally the new guy ran straight into the baby while looking directly at the baby. My mom got down on eye level with him, said very sternly that he must be careful around the baby, and needed to tell the baby he was sorry for knocking him over. The new guy told the baby he was sorry and, after that, he'd say 'watch out, baby' when he was tearing down the hall. There were no more plowing over incidents. A lot of the 'aggressiveness', I think, might be a big for his age 3 year old who has been allowed to run wild. What do y'all think?
Bedtime. Oh my. I'm thinking that 'going to bed' was used as punishment. When you say it's time for bed he immediately starts crying and saying "sorry, sorry, sorry". Putting on PJs is cause for a mini-meltdown. When any of the other kids started crying today he would tell them if they didn't stop crying they were going to bed.
The case goes back to court on Monday and no one doubts that the agency to keep custody. There is a case conference scheduled right after court that I'm attending and bringing the new guy with me.
Now the questions...
My first placement was older (turned 7 within a few weeks of placement) and could understand that he was coming to stay with me because mom needed a time out. Mom was taking classes and learning how to behave when she was mad. He would ask about her and when he was going home. He'd ask about the classes and what kind of stuff she was learning, etc. etc.. I thought that was pretty normal.
I know he's only three but my new guy hasn't asked about home. For the most part, hasn't asked for mom or where she is or when he'll see her. The very first night when he went to bed he cried and wanted mommy. But, since then, he hasn't asked about her or cried (other than when he was mad about something) or mentioned home. Just nothing that would make you think he's in distress. Is this the honeymoon? He is comfortable enough to walk into the kitchen, open the fridge and then throw a fit (like a normal 3 yoa) when I tell him to shut the door because there's nothing until dinner. He's generally standoffish at first but will warm up after a while to some, not all, people. So maybe not an attachment issue but is the not asking or crying or acting sad normal?
The SSW suspects he was in care in another state based upon the parents ease of understanding, among other things, the process of a child coming into care. He's only three though...surely he couldn't be used to this and that's why he's not asking about them, right? Any insights?
He has never mentioned his father or anything about him whatsoever. Tonight, my BF was helping him put on shoes so we could go. The new guy asked my BF if his name was 'dad'. My BF said "my name is X". The new guy repeated his name and that was the end of it. That was the one and only time he has even mentioned the word dad. Is that normal?
Should I be talking about home, mom or dad?
He has not had a bowel movement since he's been here late Thursday afternoon. He urinates on a regular basis, he's eating, he hasn't said anything hurts and he's not acting like anything hurts. Is that normal?
I know this is long and rambly but any thoughts you might have on it would be appreciated. Thanks very much!