Advertisements
Advertisements
Years ago, when I first found adoption.com, there were more birth mothers who posted on this site. Quite a few worried their children would feel they weren't good enough. They anguished over the women thy had become and what they went through. I placed my son in the early 70's when there was still a lot of shaming from society when you had an "illegitimate" child. Sometimes it depends on how much we internalized that sense of shame. I personally always wanted to be found but wasn't sure he would want me to find him. I hoped he would look for me. I finally found him right before he turned 33, through adoption.com. He had registered sometime before so I knew he was looking. His information was out of date, but I had a name and found him easily with it. Our reunion has been a good one, but even so it was quite a roller coaster, especially at first. I discovered emotions and thoughts I believed I had dealt with years before came crashing to the surface and I had to deal with them in a new way. Even in reunion, I mourn the time I did not have with him.
As the others have said, there are any number of reasons. Each of us can only truly speak for ourselves and our own situation.
Blessings, Kathy