Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm glad I mentioned it here, because we had decided to just wait until we met her before really thinking about it. I would have panicked...lol Thanks for clueing me in! We are tossing around ideas now, but still hopeing her given name works.
Advertisements
Can't really give details until we are completed with our adoption...but I can say we did and did not change his name! hahaha Can't wait to share:).
Oldmama...can't wait to hear all about it when the time comes. :) Are you waiting for court or pick up? I can't recall. Whichever it is, I hope it goes quickly!
We are considering adopting an older child and would definitely want to let him/her keep their name. But for court/birth certificate purposes what do you do about the diminutive?
For example a child's name may be Darya but they are called Dasha or Aleksandra/Sasha -- if we wanted to call the child by their diminutive would IT be what goes on the new birth certificate?
It's completely up to you. If you love the sweet name, then it could go on the paperwork.
I kept my daughter's "long name" and kept calling her by her diminuative and then by her Americanized nickname. She was 6 1/2.
Advertisements
Hi, I'm Cocoloco on FRUA and used to be on here when we adopted 6 years ago but I was unable to reactivate that account so here I am Locococo (in tribute to a crazy cat I had named Coco).
We are working on another adoption but are in the early stages and collecting all the fun paperwork and such. I've been lurking a few weeks while trying to reactivate my old account and it seems like a nice group. I look forward to chatting more.:cheer:
welcome back locococo & nice to meet you.
we just got back from our spring break vaca in FL, so really haven't been here much. we tried to brainstorm names w/family, but didn't make much headway! Mila is still the one we keep going back to. :) I also still like Katerina (Kate), but hubby had to go & say "Kate plus eight". Really?! Ugh! LOL ...it's still on the table though!!
well...laundry calls...talk to you all again later.
I, too, did not realize when heading out for trip one, that we would have decide to change the child's name on that trip. I had not yet decided on a name, knowing my daughter would be under 18 months. I went on trip one with a few names I liked, but also wanting to wait to see what her Russian name was, and see if something hit me when I met her.
I also knew I might want to keep her Russian name as a middle name, but I also wanted to include the name of a lost sibling.
I had to decide after the second day of visits. But one of the names I had chosen, that was one of only ones I really liked, fit her perfectly. I Americanized her Russian name, Yulia, to Julia and gave it to her as her middle name along with my brother's name as a second middle name.
Delaney was my picked out named and even after trip one, everyone said she looked like a Delaney. She loves her name and loves that her middle name was her Russian name. She brings her school work home with all four of her names written across the top and loves to tell the story I tell about how when I saw her I knew she was "Delaney". She is also proud to carry to uncle's name.
But there are so many beautiful Russian names! Good luck deciding!
Advertisements
MamaChinch...I hope our story is similar to yours. Very sweet & very glad she is happy w/her name. We have a couple picked out & will have to wait & see what her Russian name is when we get the referral. I think seeing a photo of her will help too!!
My daughter is from Kyrgyzstan and had a Muslim name, Meerim. Her caregivers called her Meeri for short.
Isabella was always my chosen name - she was so young when I adopted her (9 mos) I had no qualms about changing it - but I did keep Meerim as her middle name and she loves that. I don't know if the orphanage or her birthmother gave her the name though.
Someone else probablhy mentioned this but my agency advised considering the age of the child (hard to do when you have no idea when your referral is coming, I know!) but if they are old enough to speak it's a good idea to call them something that at least sounds like what they have been called.
That said, I have friends who have adopted 3 year olds and completely changed their names, (like, Vladimir - Vladdie - to Ryan ;) and they get used to the new ones quickly!
Our daughter is Rosa Alexandra. This was pretty much her Russian name. Rosa was her first name and Alexandravich (sp) was part of her surname. I'm very in favour of keeping the child's birth name wherever possible.
As far as Russian names go all the girls names are so pretty
Natasha (often known as Natalia)
Anna
Maria
Yulia
Svetlana
Katriana
Milana
Vika (Victoria)
Good luck
We have been married for 3 years without children.
Also want to adopt children
Last update on May 28, 9:52 am by tran tam.
Advertisements