Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Why not google " respite care for RAD children " and see what you find, then read up?
Parenting RAD children *effectively* contains many elements that are "backwards" or "opposite" from parenting "normal-ish" children. It would be best if you could learn about those and use them.
You could also ask the parents, what parameters are important to them that you follow? Or you could point them to a couple of different lists online, and ask them which one do they want you to use?
I can tell you that when I was parenting RAD, there were "babysitters / respite providers" I crossed off my list after getting the child back. Worst were ppl who treated the child as "king for the day" and tried to give them a "wonderful time" by doing "special" things for them, every minute the child was with them. WHOO was that disastrous. Bad were ppl who let the RAD child abuse their children (or them), and just blew it off. Ugh!
Good were people who were kind but firm, and set reasonable limits. For instance, I tipped them that he liked to throw the entire household into chaos by refusing to go to sleep, screaming, yelling, kicking, whatever it took. One couple "got it", they believed me, experienced FPs. I told them to clear breakables, things they liked, from his room before he got there. Then... don't cater to him, don't try to let him stay up another half-hour thinking it will help. I'd been there, tried it ALL. It *would* take him 30-45 mins to fall asleep. So when he started screaming first night, dad went in once, calmly told him they were in the living room so he was safe, but he needed to be quiet and go to sleep.
The next morning the child said that "The baby screaming had made it so he couldn't go to sleep." Erm, yeah, it was the opposite. When RAD child tried to whomp on mom/baby, dad just lifted him in the air and took him out of the room. Oops! He wasn't able to continue hitting, nor did he stop the positive interaction between mom/baby, NOR was he yelled at. Just stopped.
It's *imperative* that the RAD child not run the household, that's what they reach for, desperately, whether by riling everyone up, or more blatant control measures. At any rate, you could do this family a great service by reading up a bit, or asking them for verbal or written tips. Hope this helps.
Links:
[url=http://sites.google.com/site/ontarioradfamilies/Home/what-respite-is]What Respite Is and Is Not - Ontario RAD Families[/url]
RAD FAQ -- might help understand the child's situation, where came from, why is so bad:
[url=http://www.olderchildadoption.com/reactive-attachment-disorder-faq]Reactive Attachment Disorder FAQ | Older Child Adoption[/url]
Give me some examples of how RAD develops
A baby cries and cries and no one comes. A baby has a wet diaper, and it isn’t changed for hours. No one smiles at the baby. The baby learns to feel unworthy of love.
A baby is generally ignored and is only able to get attention through extreme misbehaviors or by being overly cute.
Because the primary parent mistreats the child, she assumes that all caregivers are inherently mean.
No one cares for the baby’s basic needs. The baby doesn’t trust anyone.
Sometimes when the baby cries she’s ignored. Sometimes when she cries, someone yells at her. Sometimes when she cries, someone gives her a bottle. Sometimes when she cries, some one smiles and rocks her. She does not learn proper cause and effect.