Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
OhioFosterMom
whatever you do, do NOT give her benedryl, melatonin, camomile, sleep herbs, etc. These supplements can CAUSE night terrors!
We had this experience too! Took the advice of a LOT of well-meaning friends and family members (and one case Worker), used melatonin on our 3 year old Foster Son - WORST NIGHT OF OUR LIVES! We didn't get any sleep and the poor little guy just screamed for hours!
We just had to kep going to him and rubbing his back untill the Terror stopped, it took about 2 months for them to stop after placement. We did find out that he had them at a previous placement, but was not there long enough to adjust. Figuring out a solid night-time routine I think is what helped us tremendously - we did bathtime, read or watched a short (calmer!) cartoon, and have about 5 minutes of "hold me" time where we talk about his day and what he is going to dream about that night. I think allowing him to feel safe was key in dealing with them, but true night-terrors there is a chemecal element to them...so asking a doc is definitely key!
Now after visists with Bios or from Caseworkers, we will have to be up a few times that night just to let him know that he is safe and with us.
Good luck!