Advertisements
Advertisements
I just heard of babywearing this week. Wow! I wish I would have done this with our neglected 8-month-old. I can see where it would have helped him so much.
Have any of you used this method for attachment?
Removed link to promote blog
Advertisements
I used this with my bio son and plan to with any fosters I get! It is great and really does help you bond. I really like Dr. Sears and his methods they make sense unlike those from the cry it out era...
Did it with both bios, to some extent, and with most of our foster babies as well. Definitely a good idea for all babies, but especially at-risk kiddos.
ETA: I like Dr. Sears generally--The Baby Book is still my go-to reference--but re-reading some of it lately ten years after first encountering it, I see it a lot differently. For those of us who truly can't do certain things for our foster kiddos (breastfeeding being the major one), some of the way he writes seems judgmental and unhelpful. Woe to you if you go to The Baby Book looking for help on formula-feeding or helping overcome lack of appropriate attachment! If I were a first-time parent to one of these foster babies, I would find his attitude annoying and insensitive. Semi-surprising given that some of his own children are adopted.
Yes, I used this for my STBAD who was unattached to anyone when she was placed at 9 1/2 months. She is now a Mamas girl. :clap: For my toddlers, I just put them on my hip as much as possible. All my foster kiddos (4) have healed tremendously and I credit the baby wearing for making it easier.
I had to use my baby carrier to survive the first months with my twins. I still use it a lot now that they are 14 months old. I put one in the carrier & was able to hold the other as well. I just got a second had moby wrap. My Infantino carrier has become difficult to use for any length of time. Its starting to hurt my back.
Advertisements
I wore my DD all the time as an infant, and plan to do so with any foster babies we may get.
I started out with the Baby Bjorn, but it KILLED my back. I researched and ended up getting an Ergo, and absolutely adore it. I also just recently bought a Moby carrier on sale, so I am excited to try it out.
I agree with a PP, Dr. Sears is okay, but a lot of his advice is restrictive. But as with all parenting books, I take what is helpful, and leave the rest...which is good since I have a book shelf filled with those books. :D
We baby wear too.. more out of the need for hands free movement, but the added attachment benefits are a huge plus!! I have the moby wrap and the seven slings. I love my moby for all age groups, but adore the seven slings for hip wearing my AS (it takes off sooo much weight).
I babywear all of my fosters. My AD came at 6mos having been in the hospital her whole life, so she wasn't attached to anyone. I wore her as much as we could stand it and she was attached in no time :) I wear Squishy and Bug a lot, too. Bug is FTT so I think it's extra important for him. Bear is way too heavy to wear, but I put him on my hip a lot.
Advertisements
MamaPenny
ETA: I like Dr. Sears generally--The Baby Book is still my go-to reference--but re-reading some of it lately ten years after first encountering it, I see it a lot differently. For those of us who truly can't do certain things for our foster kiddos (breastfeeding being the major one), some of the way he writes seems judgmental and unhelpful. Woe to you if you go to The Baby Book looking for help on formula-feeding or helping overcome lack of appropriate attachment! If I were a first-time parent to one of these foster babies, I would find his attitude annoying and insensitive. Semi-surprising given that some of his own children are adopted.
I felt that way, too. I remember reading one of his books that had a list of the signs of attachment disorder in the midst of a discussion about the importance of baby wearing, co-sleeping and breast feeding. It left a bad taste in my mouth because of the implication that a loved and nurtured baby was going to be attachment disordered if you didn't do those things.
But, Dr. Sears aside, I loved wearing my son and I think it was really important for helping him attach after we brought him home. It was also a fantastic way to run a quick errand with a cranky toddler. (He was pretty tolerant when he was on my back.) And it was wonderful for our outings together, because he could walk and explore and I could follow him unencumbered by a stroller - and then I could put him on my back when his legs got tired. I could also chat with him as we walked, which I could never do when he faced away from me in a stroller. But I agree with Quilter that a good carrier is important.
I'm a babywearing educator and I have a business that rents and sells carriers, so needless to say I'm a HUGE fan of babywearing for attachment! As others said, it's very important to research which carriers to use, as well as how to use them safely.
Wore my bios in a sling as well as the other infants I've had charge of.
Only word of warning is that if you haven't worn a baby in a while and start out with a 22 lb one year old, you may end up at the chiropractor's like me.
When you get them as newborns you have a chance to work up to the heavier weights, but starting with a bigger baby/toddler doesn't give you time to build up--I learned the hard way. So if you aren't starting out with a teeny one, build up gradually and don't overdo in the beginning.
Pepperminty
Only word of warning is that if you haven't worn a baby in a while and start out with a 22 lb one year old, you may end up at the chiropractor's like me.
Yes this happened to me too! I ended up with major neck pain and stiffness for over a week and still had 2 babies and 2 toddlers to care for Ack!
Advertisements
This still happens to me! Right now my right shoulder and left side of my neck are killing me. It's because I'm wearing one of the kids most of the day, I just take turns between them.
:hippie: I did, but not more than 45 minutes/day. (Didn't want to create back issues) We bonded great!
My friend does it with her medically fragile baby A LOT! (They say that even without prior neglect, medically fragile babes benefit if medical devices had make it impossible for them to be held close when they are newborns/infants. )