Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
MamaPenny
ETA: I like Dr. Sears generally--The Baby Book is still my go-to reference--but re-reading some of it lately ten years after first encountering it, I see it a lot differently. For those of us who truly can't do certain things for our foster kiddos (breastfeeding being the major one), some of the way he writes seems judgmental and unhelpful. Woe to you if you go to The Baby Book looking for help on formula-feeding or helping overcome lack of appropriate attachment! If I were a first-time parent to one of these foster babies, I would find his attitude annoying and insensitive. Semi-surprising given that some of his own children are adopted.
I felt that way, too. I remember reading one of his books that had a list of the signs of attachment disorder in the midst of a discussion about the importance of baby wearing, co-sleeping and breast feeding. It left a bad taste in my mouth because of the implication that a loved and nurtured baby was going to be attachment disordered if you didn't do those things.
But, Dr. Sears aside, I loved wearing my son and I think it was really important for helping him attach after we brought him home. It was also a fantastic way to run a quick errand with a cranky toddler. (He was pretty tolerant when he was on my back.) And it was wonderful for our outings together, because he could walk and explore and I could follow him unencumbered by a stroller - and then I could put him on my back when his legs got tired. I could also chat with him as we walked, which I could never do when he faced away from me in a stroller. But I agree with Quilter that a good carrier is important.