Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I'm 61 and was diagnosed with BPD 20 years ago when I became very depressed while was searching for my birthmother. Antidepressants help with depression, but in my experience, nothing helps with BPD. I was in therapy for over a year, and I've been back to my therapist several times since then, always because of problems of getting too attached ("enmeshed") with people.
Unlike you, I don't necessarily need to be taken care of, provided I have someone that I'm taking care of. When the relationships ended, I engaged in harmful behavior - from chopping off all my hair to my scalp, to cutting to suicide. Knowing what the problem is brings understanding but doesn't solve the problem. I keep making the same mistake over and over again.
I seem to draw other "broken" people to me like flies to honey. They're people who need care-taking, or people who just want to take advantage of my need to be needed. Regardless, they eventually abandon/reject me. I'm stuck like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, screwing up over and over, except I no longer have the hope I'll ever get it right.