Advertisements
Advertisements
We are considering that we may need some help in the home if our family grows suddenly. My husband is building his business and will have to take a lesser role at home in terms of school drop offs and may have to do some travelling over the next year where he will be gone for up to one week at a time about every 8 weeks. With my current child situtation this would not be a problem at all, but if I have a new child or two to add to the mix I might be quite stretched.
My SW suggested I look into getting a part time mother's helper - someone to help with laundry, light housework and some child minding. This way I can focus on all the kids, be able to drop off and pick up at two different schools and continue with after school activities like soccer, swim lessons, etc.
Do you have a mother's helper and if so what are her/his duties? Basically tell me everything.
thank you.
Advertisements
I wasn't willing allow my mother's helper to do anything with the kids that would interfere with bonding :) So mostly they took over my chores so that I was free to do the kid stuff. Things like cleaning, laundry, beds, preparing bottles. I did all the cuddling, comforting, care taking, driving, attending events.
With fully attached kids -- I would use the mother's helper to drive etc, and would stay with the new ones.
Perfect. Jen I should have just written you directly. But it's a good topic for others to see. I should have known you'd have the right answers.
It is a great post and I recently hired someone to help me in the house. I work full time and two kiddos 2 and under and it's a lot of work right now. So hopefully your post will help others.
We considered it when we thought our son's biological baby brother was going to come into foster care.
Basically, we planned that the mother's helper would help prep lunch, serve lunch, and clean up after lunch for the big kids. She would stay home with the 2 napping kids (infant and 13 month old) while I took the 2 older, non-napping kids out on a walk/bike ride/to the park/etc.
But, our son's baby brother did not need to come into foster care, so we didn't need to investigate any further. I'm not sure how it actually would have worked out had we needed to hire someone.
Advertisements