Advertisements
Advertisements
I read someone on here post about getting a discount cause she is a FP....which is very neat! Does anyone get discounts at like resale shops, Goodwill, places like that? I know that they just passed a AWESOME rule here......If you have a FC in your care......ALL the kids in your home get FREE lunch.......yes even Bio kids! That has saved us a LOT of money this past year and I greatful, I feel like its so nice of my City to acknowledge those to help!
Thanks! :thanks:
buckeyemama
The YMCA offers discounts for foster families...we pay half the monthly membership fee. Our local children's museum gave us a big discount on a year membership. I have never tried getting discounts at clothing stores but I have mentioned that I am a foster parent while garage selling and people have been VERY generous, even given me toys and books!
I am SOOO gonna do the garage sale thing!!!! I need a foster parent sign on the back of my van! LOL YMCA, awesome!
Advertisements
Here is how the conversation at garage sales always goes:
Me: looking at baby clothes
Garage sale lady: "how old is your little one?" or "are you looking for a particular size?" or (when I have a pile of clothes in different sizes and genders) "wow, how many children do you have?"
Me: "ummm..."(then I confess)
GSL: "oh that is soo wonderful of you! (insert inappropriate comment) here take this and this. Oh you need this!"
Me:"thanks!!! how much do I owe you?"
GSL: "oh $5 is plenty, I just think you are wonderful!"
Me: walking away with arms FULL of stuff "Thank you!!"
Yes, it is ridiculous how much we are sometimes praised but I do appreciate the kindness!!
Busymex4
How did you guys find all these places? DO you just ask everywhere you go? Did your local office inform you? How do they know your really a foster Parent?
The LW I had used to inform me of any discounts, special events, and additional funding available for fosters. Lots of times there are scholarships available for summer camps as well as discounts or free days available for family activities such as zoos, museums, amusement parks etc. We also got a newsletter from DCF in our area listing events, classes, special promotions at local businesses etc.
busymex4- our local office didn't tell us about the discounts, but when I was looking on their website I found a link. then I just did a google search by typing in the name of my city and 'foster parent discount'. Usually you just have to show the business your foster parent card and that's all the proof you need.
I WISH that our YMCA gave a discount. they don't offer ANYTHING at all!
Oregon State Parks gave a discount for day use and camping fees. We didn't qualify because we were living in CA and just passing through. But it was a great discount!! Wish CA did that!
Advertisements
Wow, I had no idea there were all these discounts out there available for children in foster care! Very nice! I will have to see what NM has to offer.
floodcitygirl
So do foster kids get free school lunches? Who do you contact about that, the school? Our 6 year old we are to get on Tuesday will be going to Kindergarden and I was wondering about his lunches.
In all 50 states foster children are automatically eligible for free lunch.
[url]http://www.collaborativefostercare.com/images/Child_Nutrition_Fact_Sheet_12_10_10%20(2).pdf[/url]
[url]http://www.naccho.org/advocacy/upload/CRS-Child-nutrition.pdf[/url]
connie_anne
Oregon State Parks gave a discount for day use and camping fees. We didn't qualify because we were living in CA and just passing through. But it was a great discount!! Wish CA did that!
I love our Oregon State Parks pass. We get to camp for free in all Oregon State Parks. The nice thing about the our parks pass is that it available not only to foster parents but also those who adopt from foster care.
There are a few local museums that give discounts on memberships. Most are not advertised, but I am learning that it pays to ask.
Advertisements
I looked on our local website and we can have a whole year paid admission to a big museum .....maybe this summer we will go....IF we have placement by then....UGH :happydance:
TemporaryMom
In Ohio, foster children get free lunches. Be prepared though. One day FD1 came home with a big bag of groceries that were given to her. Seems the fact that she was on the free lunch program implied that we were "needy." LOL. We weren't needy and who'd have thunk that the "in-thing" now was bringing lunches from home. So I had to deal with "can I pack my lunch" everyday. Interestingly, she got free lunch but not free milk. She only got free milk if she got the entire lunch. Stupid.
The same here. Our school gives the child the free lunch, but when I let him take his lunch, we had to pay for the milk. I got a note sent home one day saying he had over $5 charged on his lunch account. I called the school to ask why and they told me about the whole lunch is free, but if he just orders milk, it's not. I said that is crazy, the secretary agreed. So I paid the money and said from now on, just give him the whole lunch and if he wastes food because he just wants the milk, then he wastes food. That just seems ridiculous!!!!
ETA: Oh and as far as the sack of groceries- we never got that, but we did get a lot of reminders about the local food pantry hours!
I knew that here in Indiana, FC got free lunches but just starting 2011-2012 school year was when the whole household also received Free lunches......I HAD to call in and ask for it however, kids have different last names so they cant tell who the FC live with ......Someone had told me this so I just called the food services (very helpful) and told them so they looked up my FC and asked for my kids names and schools and that was all she wrote!!!! 6 kids.....we saved a LOT! :happydance:
The YMCA code says that no one can be turned away due to cost. Foster children are allowed to sign up as a family of one with no income and therefore qualify for a full scholarship. If your YMCA is not following the guidelines you may want to check with the national group 1-800-872-9622
Advertisements
Just called our local Once Upon a Child and I will start getting 10% everytime I go there!!!!! I will be making more calls throughout the day!!!! LOl
Jensboys - We don't get a discount in Nova Scotia at Zellers/Bay. We did get a purchase order once that was good for Zellers only, but they've since stopped that service too. Maybe because of Target buying them out??
We got a card in the mail a couple of years ago with a list of some places that offered a discount. When I went to use it at one of the listed hotels, they told me that they did not accept it unless if was being used during the annual general meeting. There was also one for a car rental, but they also said they didn't honor it unless the Federation called them and it was due to FP business of some sort.
I called them to ask what use it was only to have them tell me that "it is up to the service provider to honor or not honor the card as it's issued". In other words, not worth the paper it's printed on...