Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I am looking to find an agency that either matches after the birth of a child and /or has access to foster care for the short term. I am currently living in Ireland and as yet the Irish Adoption Board have not set out the the full ground rules for adopting from the States under Hague. They have stated that they will not grant an Article 17 if a child is placed with PAP before this time.
Most agencies and birth moms want the child to be placed with PAP from the hospital but if Ireland decide they won't allow this what do we do. There are very few countries open to Irish at the moment.
I am looking to speak with any agency that can facilitate foster care for say 1-3 mths.
Many thanks
G:flower:
Each U.S. state differs in terms of how long a woman has, after delivery, to decide that she doesn't want to go through with her adoption plan.
The agency through which I did my international adoption also handled domestic placements. One thing I liked about the agency was that it required the newborns of potential birthparents to be placed in private foster care (often with an agency family) until the waiting period expired with no birthparent change of mind.
This agency was licensed in three states, with relinquishment periods ranging from 3 days to 30 days. It felt that keeping the children in private foster care, instead of allowing them to go home with the prospective parents, till the relinquishment period expired, reduced the grief that the prospective parents would experience if the biological mother decided not to go through with her adoption plan.
In short, look for agencies that use foster care during the relinquishment period, and for states that do not have long relinquishment periods, if you want to do newborn adoption.
Sharon
But do prepare for the fact that there are very, very few U.S. newborns available for adoption by non-American prospective parents. Most non-Americans wanting to adopt an American newborn or infant will find the waits to identify a birthmother or expectant woman excessively long. Most American children adopted by people living overseas are of school age, if they are not relatives.
Advertisements
There have been continuing issues with adoptions between the US and Ireland for years now. There were warnings issued in and from 2008, and in the last year, the adoption board has made several visits to Washington to discuss legal issues. The laws the two countries have unfrunately conflict with each other in some areas, especially about consents and money
It is unusual for temporary foster care (cradle care) to last long in the US, although it does exist, as many US couples make use of temporary FC as well. However, clearly the Irish board are not okay with placements which occur before the child is 6 weeks old - I think you should plan not for at least one month, but for at least 6 weeks temp care. It would be wise for the (unmarried) birth mother to not sign any consent/TPR before that time, and wise to persue a placement where the birth father is locatable and will sign his rights away as well (probably also 6 weeks after birth to be really on the safe side). Also be very very careful what money you pay. Legal fees are okay, e-parents expenses are not okay, and I wouldn't risk paying anything like that, in this climate.
I would have a look around at all Hague-approved agencies, I suspect most of them will offer cradle care for the baby. Phone and ask them to be sure
There have been continuing issues with adoptions between the US and Ireland for years now. There were warnings issued in and from 2008, and in the last year, the adoption board has made several visits to Washington to discuss legal issues. The laws the two countries have unfrunately conflict with each other in some areas, especially about consents and money