Advertisements
Advertisements
My 2yo has been home for 6 months from EE. Before we adopted we took foster classes, 14 adoption 'courses", I read the book "Toddler Adoption" and "The Connected Child'.
I have a wonderful online support group I'm part of (adoptive and foster moms). But I'm just at a loss as to how to re-act to so many of my child's behavioral issues. He came with a lot of delays but also what baffles me is that he also has such strong "survival skills" that I'm sure were helpful to him in his orphanage life but here they really do him no good at all and only hold him back. I feel more like we brought home a 4-6yo. My brain is just so confused trying to treat him like a "baby" in some ways, a 2yo in other ways and yet I'm SO thrown off when he acts beyond his years in yet other ways.
We've seen a child psychologist who is going to be working with us consistently but does not specialize in internationally adopted children (but I'm sure she's seen her fair share of neglected children in foster care).
So are there any good books explaining certain "orphanage behaviors" that can be very impeded even at such a young age? It's just so much more than we were expecting and we want to know the best ways we can help our little son.