Advertisements
Advertisements
I haven't been here in many months, but my Josh is almost 5, will be 5 in July, just graduated from preschool. He was at a private parochial preschool last fall and then transferred back to his old one when I found people to carpool with. At the private one, he supposedly had a lot of hyperactivity and defiance and so we had him checked for ADD. They say he is mild to moderate ADHD, he has meds but we don't always give them to him. Anyway, we tried to get him into the public preschool into a Title classroom to address the behaviors.
After the screened him, they came out and asked us why in the world we had brought him to them and I explained about the behaviors and they proceeded to tell me that my child is highly gifted and we should get special tutoring because they feel he will be recommended for the gifted program. They pretty much laughed at me about the behaviors thing.
What does everyone here think about me hiring a tutor for him? He says he wants to know how to read, for me, he doesn't do so well, he argues and whines...but maybe for a tutor he would be okay. Should I hire one? How much should I pay one and for how often?
He is going to go to summer school for a month, but I was thinking of hiring one after that, maybe a couple times a week for like an hour a day? Give me all your suggestions/advice!
Blessings, Michelle
I would look for a private preschool,that teaches at a higher standard.Public preschools in your area might have low standards .U might hire a tutor,until he's old enough to get into a gifted program.I'm not getting the laughing about ADHD.Many children have learning problem are gifted.She lost my respect,I wouldn't trust her much.
Advertisements
When I was tutoring high school and college students, the tutoring service got $40/hr. I would expect for preschoolers it would be somewhat less... maybe in the $15-30/hr range. I've DEFINITELY seen kids who would perform great for a non-parent turn around and refuse to perform at all for a parent - in swim lessons, gym classes, reading, you name it. It's definitely worth trying out tutoring or an enrichment program to see if it helps. It sounds like he's motivated, so that's a big plus.
Misdiagnosing a gifted and bored child as ADHD is a serious problem, but I'm skeptical of a complete dismissal of the diagnosis if your doctor was on board and prescribed the meds. It's entirely possible your son is both gifted AND ADHD. :) Basically, now you have two opinions, I'd look for a third or even fourth to corroborate one or the other.
For a disclaimer on perspective, I have mild ADHD and was in the gifted program all through my school years, and I know what it's like inside my head when I'm having a bad day with it (or when I've had too much coffee, etc. and that is aggravating my symptoms) - I can't imagine trying to "do school" while having one of my bad days - so I'm very sympathetic to kids who are "off their meds for the summer" or who just don't get the meds they should.