Advertisements
Advertisements
I have many questions and I don't know where to turn. DH and I have been ttc for 10 years now, and we have tried everything we could and now we are turning to adoption. We just don't know where to turn. We are currently trying to adopt through foster care but I am so scared about it, I really want to adopt an infant. I am just not sure this is the route for us. Our social worker told us that its going to be hard to have a young child, but through reading and researching I have heard of many people that are able to adopt right from the hospital.
should I go through the state or an agency? Any help me would be great!!!:thanks:
Welcome! I think the answer depends on where you live. I originally thought I'd adopt through foster care. I found out that it wasn't really possible to adopt an infant or toddler through foster care in my county. The goal is always RU so infants or toddlers are rarely legally free. If you're willing to foster with the risk of having the baby returned to his/her bio family, you may end up being able to adopt if RU isn't possible. I wasn't willing to take that chance so I ended up adopting a newborn through a private agency.
You're right that many people are able to do straight adoption of an infant through foster care. I think certain states or counties may have more placements that go through the state so there's more of a chance of an infant or toddler becoming legally free.
If you really want to adopt an infant, look into domestic infant adoption as well as foster care. That may be the right path for you. Good luck in your journey!!
Advertisements
I will say that adopting from foster care can be VERY difficult...UNLESS you live in a state that's sensible about relinquishing parental rights within a certain time-frame. (Too many states are wishy-washy about this and the child languishes in foster care for YEARS and during those years, gets even MORE damaged.)
Seeing from your public profile where you live, it might seem that adopting through an agency (though expensive) may be your best bet to adopt an infant. I'll be glad to give any help that I can if you'd like to pm me.
Best of luck...
Sincerely,
Linny