Advertisements
Advertisements
I am adopting a baby in 5 months, bringing her home from the hospital. I really want to breast fed to get that bond with this child like i did with mine. But what do I do? Medicine? Who do I see to help this happen? Do you make milk like if you had your own baby? Thanks
You probably should find a lactation consultant in your area. There is medication you can take to stimulate the milk and you probably should get an electric pump, a good one not a cheap one and start pumping now so you will have a good supply when baby comes. Also just be prepared that you may have to supplement some in the beginning but there is a way to do that at the breast. Check the LLL if you need referrals for lactation Consultants in your area. Best of luck and congratulations.
Advertisements
In my experience with adoptive breastfeeding the lactation consultants in my area sadly knew less than I did in regards to protocol.
This website :[url=http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/induced_lactation/gn_protocols.shtml]Ask Lenore ~ Breastfeeding ~ Induced Lactation ~ The Newman-Goldfarb protocols[/url] was extremely helpful to me and explains the ins and outs of all the steps to take to induce lactation or re-lactate.
I would imagine if you have breastfed before, re-lactation should be fairly easy. The above protocol is an effective one, but very time consuming. If I were you I'd purchase a Lact-Aid (with plenty of set ups) and just put baby to breast as soon as she is home and let her naturally stimulate your milk supply. It will still give you the same bonding experience from the get go and you wont have weeks and weeks for pumping to prepare.
Good luck!
I have nursed six adopted kids and helped many other adoptive moms. It has been a little more than 30 years that I have been involved in this issue, in some manner, so I have a great deal to say! I have written tons here and edited repeatedly. It is still too long, but I'm not sure if I said everything I needed to. So, I am just going to post it and if you have specific questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. Also, feel free to email me directly at noelani54@hotmail.com
There are lots of ways to go about it. Which is the best depends on personal preference and whether you have a date that the baby will be born. If you have a match several months in advance, you have to consider the fact that the birth mother may change her mind and keep her baby. When that happens, many moms who have gone to great lengths to stimulate milk production regret having done it. Of course, there are also cases where things go as planned and then they are thankful for what they did in advance. Unfortunately, there is no way to predict, so you really need to take all of the possibilities into account and decide what you feel best with.
There is one thing you can do, no matter how unpredictable the timing of your adoption is, and that is to have a Lact-Aid kit ready to go. With that, you can start when you get your baby home, whether you have prepared in advance or not. I did not have access to domperidone until right after my last child weaned. I just nursed with the Lact-Aid, and produced up to 12 ounces a day. Later, after I had found more information on herbs, I used fenugreek and fennel and that put me up to about 16 ounces. I would have loved to produce more, of course, but I saw great results from that. If I'd had access to domperidone, I most likely would have tried it. I have seen enough evidence that I believe it is safe and effective enough to use.
Anyway, certainly research the medications and consider doing pumping and all that, but have a Lact-Aid ready. Few adoptive mothers are able to do without ever supplementing. Most need to supplement a fair amount, so it is unlikely that the purchase would end up being wasted money. It is much better to err on the side of be more prepared than necessary than not enough. Besides, if Lact-Aid supplies are still sealed, they are returnable.
The earlier in the pregnancy a match is made, the more likely it is that the pregnant woman will change her mind. Also, depending on how you are going about trying to adopt, you can have one fall though and then get a call at any time, asking you to pick up a baby on very short notice. I had less than 24 hours notice with our first two, after just having spoken to our agency and been told that there were no possibilities on the horizon. Often, lactation consultants and others who try to counsel adoptive mothers are not aware of the uncertainties and wide variations of situations, with adoption. Many assume that most of us have months in advance and are nearly assured of getting the baby, are there when the baby is born, etc..
The medical protocols that Dr. Newman came up with were something he'd thought about for a long time before. I spoke with him some time in the mid-late 90s and he told me he was wanting to try something, but that it would take several months and he'd never worked with an adoptive mother who had that much notice. Everyone hoped for something to come along that could make an adoptive mother lactate as if she had been pregnant. There was a physician in Arizona, a Dr. Craig, who had come up with something in the late 80s, that I actually was on for a while. Unfortunately, it wasn't terribly helpful, as far milk production, and made women depressed, if not worse. Anyway, I told Dr. Newman that the best thing would be if he could try his idea out on someone who was waiting for a baby being carried by a surrogate. "Intended" moms know about the pregnancy from the beginning and are almost guaranteed that, when the baby is born, they will get to keep it. The first such mom he tried it out on was Lenore Goldfarb, who was able to produce a large percentage of the milk her son needed. Whether or not she would have done as well had she only taken domperidone and pumped isn't known, since she hadn't tried that. There are moms who have been able to work up to very good supplies after several months of domperidone and herbs and spending several hours a day pumping.
For several years, I was in contact with many moms who had tried the protocol, and at least a few more per year, since. From that, there are a few things I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty. The extended version, at least 3 or 4 months on the dom and BCPs together, without pumping or nursing a baby, followed by stopping the BCP and pumping until the baby gets there, is helpful to many, although many may have done just as well just taking dom and starting to pump right away. Some of these moms are helped a little bit and some are helped a lot. It runs the gamut from a few who were producing enough to meet all of their babies' needs, to some who were producing only two ounces a day. Most still need to do some amount of supplementing, though. Some of those who have pumped for quite a while beforehand may have enough of their own milk frozen so that they can just use that in the Lact-Aid.
I have also seen that the accelerated version (30 days on the dom/BCP combo) offers little, if any, advantage. Unfortunately, many women have been told that they will probably never produce milk unless they do it. This has led to things like moms who have had a newborn placed with them spending the first month exclusively bottlefeeding formula. Had they just gotten on domperidone and started nursing with the Lact-Aid immediately, they would have been producing milk much sooner and the baby's ability to suck effectively would not have been compromised. I've even seen women who had been nursing with the Lact-Aid for several months, and producing several ounces a day all ready, who were told that if they would get on the protocol for a month, they would produce a lot more milk, afterwards. They've felt like all it did was dry up what they had been producing, while they were on it, and that it took them another month or so to get back to where they had been, when, had they just kept up what they were doing, their milk supplies would have increased during those two months.
Over the years, I have tried to look for some things that could be used to predict what a specific mother could expect from her efforts to induce lactation. That has been difficult. There is a wide variety of responses to different things. There are just a few things I can pretty much guarantee, though. I have known a few never-pregnant moms who nursed with the Lact-Aid and even pumped in advance, who could never see that they produced a drop of milk, but I would say that about 95% of such moms produce at least a few ounces a day, and most produce quite a bit more than that. However, I haven't heard of any never-pregnant moms who took domperidone, who did not produce at least a little bit. Of moms who have previously given birth and breastfed, I have never heard of anyone who did not produce some milk, even without domperidone. Another thing, which is very important, is that there aren't many moms who pump in advance, without taking domperidone, who are able to pump more than drops. There are a few, but not many. That is a very important thing, because I have seen so many moms who assumed that the amount of milk they got from pumping was the same amount they would produce from nursing a baby with the Lact-Aid. Actually, most who get only drops from a pump, who didn't get discouraged and started nursing their babies with the Lact-Aid when they got them were producing ounces quite soon after. For most of us, a pump does not elevate prolactin levels nearly as much as a baby at the breast. It is an emotional response. Domperidone increases prolactin levels, without the emotional response, so most moms get a much better response from a pump when they take it.
Another thing I can say for certain is that babies thrive on being nurtured at their adoptive mothers' breasts, emotionally and physically. Just a few ounces of breast milk a day provides important antibodies. I have some stories about babies who were placed when they were older, who had chronic health problems that responded very well to the addition of a few ounces of human milk to their diets. It is a wonderful experience that I will always be extremely grateful for.
I hope this isn't too hard to follow. I've been working on it for days.