Advertisements
Advertisements
My youngest - soon to be adopted daughter, 8, has struggled with math since she moved in about 1 year ago. I can't seem to make any progress using the general math methods. She just doesn't retain any of it. It is frustrating for both me and her. I'm wondering if anyone has run across any great math computer programs or workbooks that simplify it. I keep thinking that because of the neglect she suffered up until she came to us she just missed out on all the math basics. I've tried starting there. I bought an abacus to make math more 'visible' for her, thinking that it would make more sense to her but we still struggle. She is in counseling and working on trauma therapy. She does great with reading and spelling and good in school over all, she just can't seem to get math and I am at a total loss...please help! :)
Is retention the only issue or is she not able to grasp the concepts while being taught?
I've found with my son who has a learning disability and some sensory "quirks", that he retains information far better if he learns with touch. (tactile)
So if it's counting you are doing, try it with m&m's or cheerios that she can touch and then of course eat when she gets it right. (can do add/subtract too)
Addition/subtraction - do you have magnets on the fridge she can move around to do the problem?
Try things with cooking/baking for measurements, volume etc.
Even those sticky velcro numbers on a mat can help kids retain more information because they are touching it and doing an activity with it.
Bath time is also fun with those soaps you can write on the tile wall with.
Would her teacher be able to recommend a workbook series? Hopefully those that homeschool or use workbooks will chime in too! :)
Advertisements
Math U See is a program that uses blocks to teach math and is good for kids with learning disabilities, and ordinary kids as well. It's a mastery program, so they have to learn concepts really well before moving on, as opposed to a spiral program, which teaches a little of each concept then moves on to another concept, going round and round and increasing in difficulty just a little bit each time a child sees the concept. Spiral approaches work well with many kids but certainly not all. You can find it on ebay or thier website ([url]www.mathusee.com)[/url]. Life of Fred is a literary approach to math for kids who don't grasp or retain it when taught the conventional way. It's the story of a five-year-old math professor who gets into horrible and hilarious situations and of course uses math to get out of them (or the math just happens and is integral to the plot, reinforcing that math is all around us like it or not). These are sold as a complete math curriculum but most parents use it as a supplement. It's cheapest to buy them direct from the publisher at [url=http://www.polkadotpublishing.com]Polka Dot Publishing[/url]. The author is great and responded to my daughter's email to him! [url=http://www.timberdoodle.com]Timberdoodle Co - Homeschool Curriculum, Homeschool Program, Resources, Education, Homeschooling Materials & Books[/url] has other math products for kids who need a different approach, so you might look there for more options.