Advertisements
Advertisements
This search has been a most interesting journey with many twists and turns.
My name is John. My private adoption was facilitated by Dr. Thorne, pastor of the Baptist church and a Mr. Alton Jordan, a local attorney and member of the Church of Christ. My adoptive father recently provided me with their contact info, and I have spoken to both men. They claim to have no recollection of my adoption. Dead end.
I petitioned the District Court in Lubbock to have my records unsealed, to no avail. Another dead end.
My adoptive mom told me what little she knew of my birth parents as told to her by the attorney - that they were young "street musicians" in Lubbock. Young musicians in in Lubbock in 1955 ? Turns out there were a slew of them - some famous, some not so much. I turned to the most credible authority on the music scene around Lubbock in the mid-50's - a man named Bill Griggs (closely associated with Buddy Holly and intimately familar with the music scene of that era). His response to my email was rather cryptic, and only raised more questions. He said, "Yes, this is a sensitive issue. Because I have given my word to my sources I cannot discuss it. If that should change in the future I will contact you directly." Bill Griggs has now passed, and whatever info he may have had went to the grave with him. RIP, Bill. It was yet another dead end.
Then, one night while watching TV with the wifey, she elbowed me and exclaimed "Look - it's YOU !" It was a photo of Roy Orbison holding one of his infant sons, before the tragic fire that took their lives. I glanced at the TV and my jaw dropped......the baby in his arms very closely resembled my own baby photos. I stayed up half the night trying to process what I had seen and learned. Of course, the questions came flooding back - who was I, really ?
After some time I posted more info to another bulletin board, then briefly forgot about it. One day, out of the blue, I received an email from a fan and close friend of Roy Orbison. She was from California, and had come to know Roy back in the 60's and remained close to the family over the years. This lady is absolutely convinced that Roy Orbison was my birth father, and the timeline of his life would seem to bear that out. She emailed some Orbison family photos. The surviving son I most resemble is Wesley Orbison, and the resemblance is uncanny. I have written to Wesley, but did not receive a response.
I have been in contact with Alex Orbison, Roy's son by his second wife Barbara. He is supportive of my efforts to learn the truth, no matter where it leads. We chat by phone and email every now and then. Barbara Orbison is now deceased, as well, and I am going to ask Alex if he would agree to a DNA test to see if there is any compatible DNA evidence to suggest we might be related. My guess is that he will agree. Time will tell.
No matter if my birth parents were famous or not, I want them to know that I have much love and respect for making what must have been a gut-wrenching decision to put me up for adoption. I've had a great life, so far, with a loving wife, two grown sons, and now a beautiful granddaughter to share with them when the time comes.
Any search angels in the Lubbock area feel like taking on a challenge ? Email me directly at duenorthgallery@yahoo.com if interested. Thanks for letting me ramble.......
Edit to add - I am listed in the Texas Birth Books under my adopted name but my birth certificate number is not in the database. (research angels know what that means). Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for looking !
Advertisements