Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all! - we are heading toward adopting a special needs child from the DRC or from Ethiopia. HIV+ was on our short list of acceptable special needs but we were worried about whether or not the children are receiving anti-retro-virals, and if not, then how are they doing? Can you get their viral load down once in the states? Are they very sick because of it? We are wanting to adopt a child 24mo. or younger b/c of the biological children we have in the home.
Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks so much!!
I would suggest you check out projecthopeful.org I'm sure that they would be able to answer your questions since they focus on HIV+ adoptions.
Advertisements
Hi! HIV is also on our list of acceptable special needs. From what Ive read babies and toddlers are especially resilient and even if they are very sick can have a "lazarus" effect once they are put on ARV's. Be prepared for a sick kiddo or tiny at the very least. A lot of countries now have access to ARV's but not all. Can I ask what agency you are going through (you can PM me if youd like) We havent signed with an agency yet so im looking into agencies that deal with HIV.