Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
As others have said, no one can guarantee your wait time. Agencies will give you an estimate, but it is just that - an estimate. I ended up waiting twice as long as my agency estimated. I was open to any race, substance exposure, moderate medical issues... really most things. I did end up adopting a healthy newborn, but I had the opportunity to be shown more often based on my openness to other issues. Generally (though certainly not always) people who have more limitations end up waiting longer. I don't want to discourage you from adopting, but you definitely want to consider first whether you are really committed to that 1 year time frame. What would you do if you had been waiting a year and were not yet matched? Other things can also take longer. My homestudy was not completed until almost 5 months after I chose the agency; although that is longer than normal, because the social worker left and they needed to schedule me with someone else, things like that can happen. Adoption, even before getting matched, can be very expensive as well as emotionally draining, so if you would give up after a year if you were not matched, you may not want to invest the time or emotion in the process.