Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, I'm 28 years old and got married last year. I've been with my husband for almost a decade. I have a condition that will make it extremely difficult to conceive a child. Even if I didn't have this condition, I've always dreamed about adopting a baby girl from Asia. I'd happily take a boy, too, but I already bought these adorable giraffe print outfits :) I'm so ready to start my family. I'm looking to adopt from an Asian country.
My questions are as follows:
- Am I too young to adopt from these countries?
- Are there any money saving tips for Asian adoption??
- What is the fastest way to adopt an infant girl in Asia? Preferably under 10 months, but would be okay with up to 2 years old.
-Is there a fairly low risk of birth mothers opting out of giving their children away?
I would appreciate any tips you can offer. I'm nervous as I'd like to become a mother within the next couple years. I would very much like it to be an infant but my research doesn't make that seem promising. THANK YOU
I'm also very curious about health requirements. I have anxiety but I'm not on meds for it. I've been able to manage it easily on my own but it's a documented issue in my records. Also, I have a family history of breast cancer. It seems horrible that I would be denied a child for that reason because it's partly why I want to adopt in the first place. I didn't really want to have a biological child if there is cancer in my genetic background. I want to adopt so badly and I don't want someone else's medical background to affect my chances. thanks again!
Advertisements
There might be a few countries that you could consider. Both Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan have both recently reopened for adoption and there might be a few agencies that are accepting applications but you would need to call them first and ask about the process and ages of children available. Korea might also be an option if you are open to a boy (families without children cannot specify a gender) or you choose to adopt a baby girl with special needs.
To be honest with you, its very difficult - if not impossible to adopt a child internationally that is under 12 months old. In most circumstances, its fairly easy to find families for healthy babies because there are more families open to adopting babies than their are babies available for adoption. Second, the process to make a child available for international adoption takes a very long time. Therefore, by the time you travel to pick up the baby you were originally given, she might have grown into a toddler by the time the relinquishment process has finished. Korea used to be a great place to adopt young babies but now most children coming to the States are between 12-16 months old at the youngest. If you want a healthy girl, I suggest you consider children ages 2-5 years old or be prepared to wait about 2-6 years for a healthy baby that matches your criteria.
Speaking of wait times, you mentioned that you wanted to adopt a child quickly? What would you consider quick - less than one year? If you want to adopt a healthy baby girl internationally within that time-frame, I highly suggest that you FORGET about international adoption. Most international adoptions are now taking 2-6+ years for healthy infants and toddlers because their are plenty of families who would be open to these types of children. Many countries that used to place young infant like Cambodia, Vietnam and Nepal are no longer open to international adoption because of concerns of fraudulent adoptions. Other countries like China and Taiwan have very long wait times at this moment and many families have waited 6+ years to adopt from China and over 2 years to adopt from Taiwan.
To be honest, the landscape of international adoption has changed so much in the past ten years. Nowadays, unless your open to special needs or older children, its very difficult to adopt internationally within one year. If you really have you heart set on an healthy Asian baby girl, I would suggest you be prepared to wait several years for a referral. You could also reconsider your criteria and adopt a girl with special needs or one who is slightly bit older than two years old.
Sorry, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, considering that I also have an Asian daughter but I want to be honest with you right now so your not disappointed later on in the process.
This is very discouraging but I appreciate your honesty. I kinda figured it would be next to impossible to Adopt a Baby girl anywhere. It just seems like so many people I know have done it somehow. I guess they might have adopted when the process was more expedient. I'd like to be a mother no later than 32. I lost my mother young and I fear having children when I'm too much older in case history repeats itself! I pray that it won't. My goals would be reachable if I could start the paperwork now but apparently I have to be 30. It's all so frustrating. International adoption appears to be designed for people that have all the time in the world to wait and are older. That's great but I feel like I fall through the cracks in some ways. I would consider domestic adoption but I hear equally stressful stories about that. I'd like to adopt from a trusted place and China always seemed like a good one.
Anyway, thanks for the help. I guess I might have to knock adoption of my to-do list unless I decide that I want to be a mother past 35. I really do appreciate the reality check though. So many unwanted children out there, it's hard to believe that they are all getting adopted, but I guess it's good that they are.
P.S.,
May I ask if you adopted your Asian daughter? I see on your signature that you were doing IVF? Do you have more than one child? Just like to hear how your miracles came to be :) Very inspiring.
Last update on January 27, 11:57 pm by Sachin Gupta.
Hi! I saw your post and wanted to chime in...I have 2 biological boys aged 15 and 13...miracle children that my husband was told we would never have...my DH has almost zero sperm count. We went through 3 years of fertility treatments...even at one point used Donor sperm.....finally with no success we gave up. We were too young to adopt at that point in my life..I was in my very early 20's. All of a sudden, months later I found out I was pregnant..ON our own and then I was back ended in a fender bender and Miscarried. I was devastated. But I thought well..If I got pregnant by my DH I truly believed I could get pregnant again...and 3 weeks later, again I conceived quickly and had my first son. 13 months later I decided it was time to have more kids and DH and I tried, again on our own to get pregnant and first time out I conceived and had our second son. With both postpartum times, I began to get sick. (hyperthyroid and heart issue because of the undiagnosed thyroid issue) All of our history, including I myself was half-adopted..raised by my birthmom and adopted by her DH as a baby, all led me down the road of wanting to adopt. DH was not initially on board, finally he reluctantly agreed to try foster-care adoption, but for us it wasn't right and after 2 years of doing that we were unsuccessful. Right now I will turn 40 and DH will be 43, this July and we are FINALLY in the process of adopting from China. Now, DH is super excited and I am cautiously optimistic. International Adoption is something that can be complicated, but if you truly want to do it...time is on your side if you are open to the age of the child and maybe accepting a special need. I have been with my DH since I was 16..almost 24 years and have been married for almost 20 years....and its only now we are able to do this. I so wish I was younger...but you know what things happen in their own timing and for you, they could too. Just don't give up. I have wanted to adopt for over a decade and it has taken this long. My goal was to be done having ALL my kids, bio and adopt by the time I was 25! You can see how that has went.
Guess what I am saying, is before you give up on the idea of adopting...research...you still have time, and see if anywhere else may fit your criteria. While many families do want baby girls...ironically for us... while in the U.S. foster/adopt program I got calls for many available babies...but unlike most people..my desire was a child between the ages of 2-7 years old. I just didn't feel called to bring a baby home to our very active family. If you are open to things, you still could adopt. Like me, you may feel NOW is the time to do things....I felt exactly as you have, but no matter what I did, things never lined up..My "plan" was to adopt from Guatemala....DH ho-hummed around that idea so long that by the time he came around....there were rumors that the program was closing..so I decided I did not want to risk it..so again, I was put on hold. For me, China was always on my list, but the last one on my list. Again, things don't always work out how you imagined..but just don't give that dream. I feel like adoption is a calling....something that once its put in your heart, doesn't go away. Believe me when I tell you this...I prayed for that desire to go away but it hasn't. My advice to you is to research countries, I think it would be better for anyone who truly wants to adopt and is truly called to this wonderful way of growing ones family to look at EVERY option, to figure out also where THEY are to go. While domestic, foster care adoption, and International adoption have their good and bad points....somehow, someway one of those ways could be the direction to finding your forever child. Good Luck!
We currently have two children who came to us via embryo and egg donation and we are trying to adopt another one via the foster care system. Our oldest daughter is 3.5 years and is Asian. Our second one is a few weeks old is Caucasian. IVF didn't work for me because of Premature Ovarian Failure and my partner carries a genetic disease that we don't want to pass on to our children. Plus, she has no desire to be pregnant.
Foster care is way more difficult than I thought and I am not sure if we will continue the process. We looked into international adoption too and we wanted a "healthy baby as young as possible" but, we found out that is very tough to adopt those types of chldren internationally. If the foster care system adoption doesn't work out. We are going to try international adoption again - perhaps from a stable country like Colombia or Ethiopia... I think that our two year old foster child (who has a lot of special needs) has taught us that we can handle a child with special needs better than I thought we could
Anyways, like I said, I don't want to bring bad new but I just want to be honest so your not disappointed like we were when we considered adoption. Its a long journey and its not for the fainthearted.
Advertisements
If you really want an infant, domestic adoption is the most logical way to go. It can be a fairly quick process or can take a while. It all depends on the expectant mom picking you. If you have a preference for a particular race or gender, you might wait a bit longer. I would do some research into domestic adoption and talk to a few local and national agencies to get an idea of what is involved.