Advertisements
Advertisements
[FONT="Arial"]Firstly I am new here so you will have to bear with me.
ok I'm the youngest of three but my oldest brother and his gf have found out she is expecting and they are scared of going to the doctors as the social will get involved. I'm not sure of the background behind her but basically she has had 4 children and all have been taken into care, one of them died in a car crash when he was young (her oldest) and her youngest who is just over one has now been adopted so she can't have anymore contact with her.
So even if she wasnt with my brother the child will get taken away from her again I really don't know the reason behind this. Then there is my brother who has ADHD and other mental health issues, He has been sectioned on nemerous occassions too. So this also will not go in their favour. I have said that she needs to go to the doctors to make sure everything with the pregnancy is ok etc. But I said I am not letting any niece or nephew of mine be taken away while I can help it and that I would fight to adopt the child myself.
I have a three bed house. My own two children never once has social been involved. And by the time she has the baby I will be married (that also would go in my favour) I said to my brother the baby would live here with me and my family. And they could come round everyday to see the child. And when the child is older I will make sure it knows I'm Auntie andmy brother and his girlfriend are daddy and mummy. Do you think I would be doing the right thing? Or what is your opinions on this? and what would you do if you was in my shoes? I really don't think I could stand by and watch my own blood relative be taken into care for me to never see it again if that makes sense?[/FONT]
I've sent you a message but I do have a suggestion for you and that is to privately foster the baby once he or she is born. Although private adoption is illegal in the UK private fostering isn't although you would still need to inform social services. The other alternative is special or legal guardianship which you should be allowed to do. If you try to adopt the baby a social worker would still have to be involved as you need to be approved to adopt first. Legal or special guardianship are the best options.
Advertisements
I just found this forum so it might be too late.
I am involved in a fight for my niece who is 2 now and recently been taken into care as social services are being ignorant about the family relatives. Anyway...
I have been told that if the mother would give a child after birth to a family member who would of take care of a child, the social services would have nothing to say and no official steps would of been taken. However this could be done few years back.
Now, if it's not too late I would consult this with one of adoptions charities (ie. Coram - they are quite quick & good)who has lawyers and they can give an advise for free.
Have you thought about legal or special guardianship as an alternative to adoption? If you're in Scotland then it's worth looking at kinship guardian which is basically the same as the other two.
You're welcome to join up with [url=http://www.fassitforums.co.uk]Fassit Home[/url] which is for parents whose children are in foster care but family members are welcome to join as well. There are pages on the main website for advice and your rights as well as the forum. The members on the forums are helpful as they have been or are going through the same or similar situations. I'm not saying that adoption isn't the way to go but guardianship is an alternative.