Advertisements
Advertisements
I am so thankful. I was talking with a friend and co-worker about possibly wanting to breastfeed my baby. She was happy about it but didn't know how I would be able to do it seeing as how I'm nOt giving birth. I explained what I have learned about adoptive breastfeeding. She became so excited at the thought that I could breastfeed. She said she breastfeed all three of her children and still had her breast pump, a Medela Pump In Style Advanced. She said its yours. She told me she was waiting for someone to give it to. She brought it a couple days later in the original backpack, with all the pieces to include the cooler bag and battery pack. Of course, if i use it i will buy a new kit. I just hugged her and said thank you if I don't use it I will give it back. She looked at me and said I think you will use it. I was shocked that she just handed over a $300 pump for free and in excellent condition and laid claim that I am going to breastfeed when I haven't even made up my mind. But nonetheless I'm thankful for her support and generosity. Just thought I'd share. What are you thankful for?
How wonderful! Having someone who supports you is very important, regardless of whether they know anything about how to do it. Of course, I hope you decide to nurse your adopted baby, because it is something I am so thankful that I was able to do!
Advertisements
I have even more news. I was put into contact with WIC in my county. I am not eligible for WIC but they lend out (free) hospital grade pumps to non-WIC mothers who want to breastfeed. She also said they can give me a SNS. I explained that I am a prospective adoptive mom. She was so supportive. I have an appt set for August. So PAPs check out WIC in your areas for support in breastfeeding. It looks like my path is being laid out for me. ☺
This is great to know! I'm so glad that you have found so much support, all ready! Lack of support is a big part of why I didn't have major success until my third baby. Many bio moms don't get very far with their first babies, either because no one around them will support them, or because they are too embarrassed to ask. My daughter-in-law didn't nurse my granddaughter, but I didn't even now until later than she even wanted to nurse, because she was so shy about it. I'd heard her tell the nurse she was going to bottlefeed, when she was in labor, but apparently that was because her mom and sister were right there and she didn't want them to know she wanted to breastfeed. She just had another baby three weeks ago and he is nursing very well!
Anyway, I have experience using both the Lact-Aid and the SNS so if you have any questions about using them, feel free to ask!
Darillyn
noelani54@hotmail.com
Thank you Darillyn, if I have issues I will definitely ask you for help. I have also been exchanging emails with
Lenore G. I have decided to use herbs and pumping. I'll start in August.
What kind of herbs are you planning to use? My husband and I are saving for adoption right now, and I'm really hoping to be able to breastfeed. Hope that all goes well for you!
Advertisements
Welcome Dolly! I will use Mother's Milk Tea and gradually pump up to 6 x a day with a hospital grade pump.
I have been looking at the ingredients in Mother's Milk Tea and they have changed it a lot since back when I was nursing my kids. I usually made my own tea out of whole fenugreek and fennel seeds. Buying them in bulk is a whole lot cheaper than buying tea bags. I made a quart of strong tea every morning with a quart of boiled water, a heaping tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and a heaping teaspoon of fennel seeds. I let it steep for five minutes, but no longer, or it would be bitter. I just added some honey, drank a cup warm, with some milk, and then sipped the rest, over ice, throughout the day. Another thing you can do with seeds is just wash them down whole, like little pills. I think a teaspoonful per day would probably be enough, if you did it that way.
Also, have you ladies heard of the herbal tinctures they have at Motherlove.com? There is even a picture of an adoptive mother nursing an Asian baby on the page! They have several versions of their milk inducing formulas. I don't think it is the most economical way to do it, but if you aren't a big fan of tea or don't like to swallow lots of capsules, it gives you another option. [url=http://www.motherlove.com/product/501-More-Milk.html]More Milk | Motherlove Herbal Company[/url]
I'm excited for you ladies!