Advertisements
Advertisements
We adopted through fostecare and wanted most of our contact with dd's birthfamily to be through letters, birthfamily wanted most of their contact to be through visits.Yet we have no contract for continued contact,it is completely up to us. We've tried to come together and compromise but I feel like I've bent over backwards over the years to give them visits like they "need", but anytime I beg and plead for letters for my daughter, they just don't come through.
Our dd has been having a difficult time with visits, especially over the last couple years and because of it (and a bunch of other reasons) we've had to decrease visits to 1-2 times a year.
Decreasing them has helped her by giving her more space, but visits are even harder for her because all those emotions come back to her and she really doesn't know them, and she really want to know them better.
About 2 1/2 months ago I spoke with birthmom about it and again, and requested that she start writing dd so they can build a relationship between visits, hopefully making visits more comfortable for dd. It caused an arguement because Birthmom always fights with me on "opening up" and "sharing", but especially when it comes to "writing".
After our arguement I wrote her and birth grandma a very kind letter that talked about my dd and her need to build a relationship with them through writing. I explained the difficulties we are having with visits and our hope that letter between visits will help make the visits easier on dd and also allow her to get to know them better.
Well, birthgrandma wrote me right away saying she would and shortly after we received a letter in the mail and our dd really loved it, but we still have not received a letter from birthmom.
I was becoming really angry and resentful, knowing that we have always tried to give them what they need and want in the relationship but birthmom has always fought us on the issue of communicating and especially writing letters. The very thing that we wanted to be the foundation of contact in our relationship.
I ended up messaging birthmom again and asking her "why" this is always an sensitive issue for her. She just stated that it's hard for her to know what to write and what to say,so she just doesn't do it.
Part of me wants to just lay down the law and say "hey, if your not willing to give dd what she needs in order to have contact than maybe we need to stop having contact". But I don't want to approach it like that. I want her to do this for dd to make this easier on her, not because she feels threatened. However, if things don't improve and dd continues to have a really hard time with visits it will be our only choice since she has given us no other option to try and make things better.
(oh, no she did recommend an option. She asked that she have alone time with dd to take her out and talk or to have a sleepover at her house.) We have never had unsupervised visits and certianly wouldn't have a sleepover. Aside from the fact that the last several visits we've had dd has broken down in the visit and come to me for comfort, and the last time we saw them she wouldn't even let go of my hand she gave me the death grip letting me know she didn't want me to leave her side. Having a private visit without me there wouldn't even be an option. Yet, it's another example of birthmom pushing for more contact but refusing to give us what we've asked for as far as contact goes.
How do you deal with a situation like this?
How old is your daughter? How old was she when she was taken? How long ago did you adopt?
I, too, adopted from foster care. After a couple years, things have started to go smoothly.
I got some really sage advice early on. You can't control anyone outside your immediate family. You can set boundaries, but you can't MAKE others do anything
Clearly M is not comfortable writing letters. Whether she has a learning disability, has messy handwriting, or just can't find the time, the reality is - its unlikely that she's going to follow through on writing letters on a regular basis
You can make yourself insane banging up against that wall. or threaten more consequences. its not going to change a thing
Or you can find another way to forge the ongoing relationship - phone calls, skype, emails to you that you share.
Or you can help your daughter get the help she needs to deal with the reality of the biannual visits. Work on what you can control in your home.
J used to have meltdowns for the day prior and 2 days after a visit. Now, its hardly a blip.
Good luck
Advertisements
I'm wondering if there is something that gets in the way of mom writing as well. Do you know how literate she is? What about asking her what way she would like to communicate with your DD between visits? That way she has choices, but not unlimited ones (you are not giving her the option of "what do you want" which is to increase visits). If she has trouble coming up with something, you could offer some suggestions, like phone calls, her making and sending audio or video recordings, email, letters, etc).
I'm sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. Honestly it's all so complicated and hard to explain. My dd is 10 and she came to us just after she was 1 but we didn't adopt her till after she turned 3. It was a confusing case and my dd remembers a lot of hurt, anger and abandonment. Birth mom truly does love dd but she has a very difficult time opening up and communicating.
Birthmom says she just doesn't know what to say in a letter. But the truth is that she doesn't know what to say "anytime" wether it be in person, on phone etc. It's just much harder on everyone all the way around when you add the extra emotional aspect or hearing their voice or seeing them in person.
The best way we have found to communicate (between her and I) is actually in Instant message form or messages through facebook. Those are the only times that we've been able to really communicate with each other.
Maybe we should set up instant message conversations on a regular basis? Maybe that is an option? Solves the "face to face" issues but also requires immediate responses, so there is instant feedback.