Advertisements
Advertisements
I see you are getting a lot of feedback on diapers/training pants, etc. SO, is it OK to go off point here and ask (if you know) how in the world a 3yr old got to be 50lbs? I know certain races are just built big like Samoans, but is that the case for your FS?
Our last 3 yr old was healthy and weighed around 35lbs. 50lbs is a lot for a 3yr old.
Just curious.
Advertisements
BoysParent
I see you are getting a lot of feedback on diapers/training pants, etc. SO, is it OK to go off point here and ask (if you know) how in the world a 3yr old got to be 50lbs? I know certain races are just built big like Samoans, but is that the case for your FS?
Our last 3 yr old was healthy and weighed around 35lbs. 50lbs is a lot for a 3yr old.
Just curious.
Wow! Good question. My placement that just went home today, was about 35 lbs as well, 4 lbs smaller than my 5.5 year old! (but he is on the small size too). This little boy wore 3-4T's reliably and had a "louie" shaped head from the family guy. Tough to get shirts on/off him! But he was normal BMI, tall and just big for his age.
50lbs is way beyond "big for his age" I would guess.
I'm not really sure. I think it's a combination of factors.
Her parents are pretty big (dad is prob 6'8") so there may be some genetics involved. She is 4 ft do a little tall too.
I was warned from her last foster family that if given treats or kid food she will eat until she throws up. I've given her some of that food but never unlimited. If she says she's hungry still, I offer healthy food and she usually says No Thanks (or has a 2 hour tantrum).
My guess, and this is really just conjecture, is that saying she was hungry was how she got attention from her mom. I've noticed if after she's just eaten, if I'm not giving her undivided attention (ie doing dishes), she will cry that she's hungry. If I offer more healthy food or playing a game, she always picks a game...
Her mom also makes pretty poor food choices. Last week in her 1 hr visit (30 min after she ate a healthy breakfast), my little one ate an entire box of fruit snacks, an entire bag of goldfish & had 6 juice boxes!! Her mom told me once that her 2.5 yr old's favorite food was Ramen & that I should make 2 packages to start but be prepared to make a 3rd quickly!!!
She has really thinned out since coming in foster care. If she's wearing a big top, that covers her bottom, she basically looks like a normal 4-5 yr old. Besides the weight being unhealthy, I'm really trying to work on nutrition to hopefully help with behavior too!!
If the child has medicaid, your doctor can write a script for the diapers/pull ups, and they are covered 100%, up to 250 diapers per month (age 3 and up). Walgreens has big kid pull ups that I get with my prescription. You can also go to HDIS.com, and they will work with your doctor to deliver them right to your door through medicaid.
p.s We are in NY, different states may have different rules.
rm2000hg
I'm not really sure. I think it's a combination of factors.
Her parents are pretty big (dad is prob 6'8") so there may be some genetics involved. She is 4 ft do a little tall too.
I was warned from her last foster family that if given treats or kid food she will eat until she throws up. I've given her some of that food but never unlimited. If she says she's hungry still, I offer healthy food and she usually says No Thanks (or has a 2 hour tantrum).
My guess, and this is really just conjecture, is that saying she was hungry was how she got attention from her mom. I've noticed if after she's just eaten, if I'm not giving her undivided attention (ie doing dishes), she will cry that she's hungry. If I offer more healthy food or playing a game, she always picks a game...
Her mom also makes pretty poor food choices. Last week in her 1 hr visit (30 min after she ate a healthy breakfast), my little one ate an entire box of fruit snacks, an entire bag of goldfish & had 6 juice boxes!! Her mom told me once that her 2.5 yr old's favorite food was Ramen & that I should make 2 packages to start but be prepared to make a 3rd quickly!!!
She has really thinned out since coming in foster care. If she's wearing a big top, that covers her bottom, she basically looks like a normal 4-5 yr old. Besides the weight being unhealthy, I'm really trying to work on nutrition to hopefully help with behavior too!!
Oh my! Thats awful. SIX juice boxes. Really? Feeding a kid like that is like slowly killing them. We arent overly strict on what we feed our kiddos, but if they have a weight problem we have to be.
I hope they get the bios some education on nutrition.
Advertisements