Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My nephew just started kindergarten. Thankfully, they aren't taking him out of school for visits ... but they are still planning to do them afterwards. The problem is that he has sibling visits and there is a lot of driving. So the visit won't even end until 7:30 PM. If he gets dropped off at home as usual, then he won't be home until 9 PM. We can (and will) pick him up, but even then he won't be home until 8 PM. At that point, we still have to feed him dinner and give him a bath. (The bath is mandatory, he smells disgusting after visits.) He also mainly eats vast quantities of sugar during the visits so he also has to come down from his sugar high. So even if we picked him up from his visit the very earliest he would fall asleep would be around 9 PM.
The problem with this ... he needs to be asleep no later than 7:30 PM to get enough sleep. Maybe that extra hour and a half of sleep doesn't sound like a big deal, but I know from experience that even an hour off for him makes a huge difference. He is not the kind of kid who can just sleep later the next morning to make up for it -- he ALWAYS without fail wakes up by 7 AM (if he's still asleep after 7:30 the first thing we do when he wakes up is take his temperature, because usually that means he's sick). And if he doesn't get enough sleep he is a nightmare the next day. He has behavior problems as it is, but deprive him of some sleep and it gets 100x worse. And the visits are on school nights, so that means he'll have that kind of behavior in school.
Unfortunately although some of the visit supervisors do work on weekends they are refusing to assign one of the weekend workers for this case. I seriously think it's because they're expecting TPR to be imminent and don't want to "waste" weekend visits on a hopeless cause.
the GAL is trying to get visits stopped but DHS is insisting on doing them until (if) TPR is granted. I have argued my nephew's case over and over (which is why GAL is fighting for me) but to no avail.
Has anyone else had problems with visits being too late at night? I know many people complain about visits always being at naptime (which we also had a problem with for the first year, until thankfully my nephew outgrew naps), but haven't noticed anyone having this problem.
I am just so angry about this. It's been TWO YEARS and his mom is in an even worse place than she was back then. Why doesn't the stupid judge just rule already and end this???? And why doesn't DHS just stop the visits??? There's no way that someone could successfully appeal TPR based on stopping visits two months after the TPR trial was finished! sheesh.
:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:
I am so ready to be done with this, can you tell???