Advertisements
Advertisements
Once adoption is finalized how long does it take to get adoption decree? When we adopted older three boys ten years ago I believe we had it within a week. It is two weeks now and we didnt get it yet.my husband even called the attorney yesterday but he hasnt received it yet. In the meantime we cant change his name anywhere. We cant add him to insurance without it so we have had to cancel dr and dentist appointments and speech and ot. We really wanted his name changed before he starts school next week but cant do it wothout the adoption decree.
Advertisements
I'm in the same situation. Finalized last Wednesday. Still waiting on the decree. Still haven't been called in to sign the birth certificate.
Can't change anything. Just sitting in limbo. I'm ready for this to be over already.
I thought we'd be over finalization. Wrong. Sigh...
I asked her teacher to refer to her by her new name when she started school and she has. You should be able to talk to the teacher about this.
Momsalot
Can't you call the judge's clerk? He/she should be able to let you know
That is my thought...
We actually left court after the adoption with several copies of the decree. Now the birth certificate is another story, we finalized May 9th and still waiting!
when we signed the papers to move them from foster to adoptive placement, dfcs gave us a letter stating 'these are the names the children are to be known by!' they won't put it on their perm. records but they will call them those names.
ALso....here you get your adoption decree same day, at the courthouse.
We had to wait almost four months for ours...and then four more months for the birth certificates! Such a pain!
Advertisements
We got our decrees and certified copies of them the same day we adopted, we just had to go from the courtroom to the courthouse records window to pick it up.
We had to wait 2 1/2 months to get their birth certificates. Ironically we got their SS#'s before we got the birth certificates by 3 weeks, when they can't issue new SS#'s without new birth certificates...so I knew the state had processed them, they just took forever to actually print them out and send them!
We got the decree that day also.
ALso, our adoptive placement paperwork included the children's new names (however, we did adoptive placement the day before adoption so that didn't help us with all the trouble we had with the school).
I waited and my attorney got mine the same day. It did take FOREVER, like over 2 months to get his new birth certificate. His new SSN was relatively quick, like two weeks.
Advertisements
Can't you call the judge's clerk? He/she should be able to let you know
I know this is an old post but I just joined. We had our finalization hearing 2 weeks ago and still do not have the Adoption Decree. Like the original poster the attorney does not have it back from the clerk either. They do not seem concerned but our process has had so many wrenches I am freaking out. Is it out of line to go around the attorney and call the clerk or should we just wait...