Advertisements
Advertisements
Having had horrible experiences with older child adoption; and, knowing a lot of other people who've experienced less than wonderful experiences with older child adoption, I'd have to say this:
The worst part of older child adoption is many, MANY agencies simply won't disclose vital information to the hopeful adoptive parents who are VERY green, VERY generous and VERY hopeful their child will be wonderful in all ways. That's no offense to you, but speaks to agencies who deliberately put 'placing a child anywhere is more important than finding the best home/place for a child'. And don't think this isn't the norm, because it is.
In order to know HOW to parent older children, it would be wise to attend SEVERAL support groups for parents who've adopted older kids. I can't say enough to how these groups will give you full insight into the best and worst parts of older child adoption. Caseworkers will fail to tell the entire stories....parents who are literally living the life, will tell you straight up. And don't think parents who've had their older children for less than a year or two can give you a full scope of what it's like. Talk to those who've been doing this for at least 3-5yrs. They'll be able to tell you how it really is----with the rose-colored glasses removed, KWIM?
Make sure you carefully consider EVERYTHING About any child/ren you're presented. Don't go into this emotionally. Don't think, "If we don't adopt him/her, who will?" Because the truth is, there are many older children for adoption who should never be in a traditional home or with unexperienced parents. I'll enclose a checklist I devised years ago and I've been told it's been very helpful to many.
Additionally, realize that parenting an older child from the system is NOT---is NOT---ANYTHING like parenting a child from birth. Their issues are scarring; their fears are real; their acting out (in some scenarios) will harm other children in your home; their emotional issues can be extremely taxing and sometimes, they will never learn to change---nor, will they WANT to change because, in their mind, it's just too hard---no matter what.
Realize that you'll be learning from them--daily. For some children, you'll need/have to repeat the same directions day after day forever. For others, you'll find incredible joy over simple things and you can rejoice with them. But understand, MANY of these children will never allow you to fully attach to them. Many of them will only allow you to attach to parts of their souls, but never give up the rest because they've just been hurt too much for too long.
Another thing. This may seem offensive to some, but unless you've BTDT, you'd never understand how similar animals are to children. Animals who've been raised in abusive situations and/or situations where they were neglected react very similar to children who've been in abused and neglected situations. The difference is, animals can survive with basic skills---humans have a hard time doing this. It's the person who realizes the child has chosen to live this way for life and parent accordingly. SOOO many parents will literally knock themselves out thinking THEY can change the child---if they JUST Try Hard enough! Bottom line: You can't MAKE anyone do something they don't want to do. Doesn't matter how much you love them, how many sedatives you take in order to cope (and believe me, MANY parents of older adopted children take meds in order to face/cope with their child's behaviors); doesn't matter how much you try...the child's mindset/fears/disappointments and dreams have been altered. You can't change them.
Realize this: The younger the child is when you bring them into your home, the better the chances the child will recover from their hurt condition.
Something like 98% of all children who've been in the system have been sexually abused. That stat was given to us during our classes and I have no doubt it's probably pretty accurate.
This is a hard and sad response to your question, but you asked to hear all sides. I know of very few parents who are having lovely relationships with their older children. There are a few who DO have great relationships/experiences with their older children, but they are few and far between. And, those relationships are truly wonderful and great....so I KNOW it's possible, but it's not the norm.
Educate. Educate and Educate yourselves. Don't stop with the 'classes' the system provides. Keep in mind the system is DESPARATE for foster/adoptive parents and too often, the classes don't give the full truth.
Don't be afraid to say 'this particular child will not work in our home'. Those aren't words from a fearful and inexperienced parent. Those are words from a knowledgeable and excellent parent who knows their limits and best attributes in parenting a specific child and is willing to wait FOR that certain child to be presented to them.
IF...IF you'll go into this with eyes wide open. IF you'll understand exactly what you're up against and know going into this you'll have to roll up your sleeves and break your heart over and over again and maybe---just maybe----you'll be one of the few, you'll do alright.
Lecture over. I hope my words will help.
Best of luck to you....
Sincerely,
Linny
THE LIST
Questions for parents considering the placement of a special needs child.
1. # of placements child has had; how long they lasted, why they disrupted. (Usually
folks are uneasy to disclose the 'why'....but I'd really try to find out!)
2. Permission (and I've done this w/o permission too) to contact past foster parents. (This
info can prove to be INVALUABLE...and most foster parents will gladly provide info as
to the 'why')
3. "Why" didn't past foster parents adopt this child?
4. At what age was the child 'removed from the home'..what type of pre-natal care
(especially drug use, etc), what's the situation with any sibs (adoption, prenatal drug use,
residential care, etc.?)
5. What kind of medication is the child on NOW....and what types has the child been on
previously? (Also, what types of diagnoses has this child been given in the past, by what
type of professional (psychiatrist,psychologist, or your 'mental health counselor' who
suspects something?)
6. What prompted termination? Did either parent voluntarily surrender and 'why'? Try to
get the psychologicals on the birthparents. (In some places, this is a 'no-no'...but we've
been given these before w/o asking. Many psychological traits have a genetic
pre-disposition.)
7. Where are the biologicals now? Are there relatives in the area near you, and any chance
they'll be a problem?
8. What kinds of hospitalization (especially ER) has this child had? tests, etc. If so, you'd
like the paperwork!
9. What's this child been told about adoption? Does this child lament for his/her
biologicals?
10. What type of relationship did this child have with birthparents? ie, was this child
forced into being the 'parent' because parents were unable to be just that? Did this child
have to take care of younger, older sibs?
11. How does this child perceive him/herself? Is she self-centered? Does she share well?
(And I don't care how old the child is....this may still be a problem.)
12. Has or has this child EVER had a diagnoses of RAD (reactive attachment
disorder)...or ANY type of attachment disorder? How has 'the system' helped this child
deal with this? (Holdings, play therapy, etc.)
13. How long has this child been in therapy, and what types have been used?
14. Does this child act out sexually? If not now, EVER? And IF ever, how and how long
since the last time?
And...one of the most IMPORTANT questions we think you should ask YOURSELF:
"If this child were to get NO better after being in our home, could we handle his/her
behaviors 'just as they are, NOW'......as if there would be NO improvement, etc.
I think this is important, as classes continually say that 'this child just needs some love
and attention and permanancy, and you'll see how much improvement this child will
make!!!" This DOESN'T ALWAYS happen, and is a point to consider when taking on
special needs children.