Advertisements
Advertisements
Any information appreciated! If you are my birth parent, you have a son that turned out pretty good and you have three grandsons! Hope to hear something!
If you were adopted through the state vs an agency - you should also request any non-identifying information the state holds (although it was right around your birth year that they changed the laws to require each county forward details to the state adoption unit). Many of us were surrendered to the state when our mothers did not go to a maternity home.
If you were adopted through an agency - request "any and all" non-id they have in their files on you specifically if there were any letters left or additions made. Also ask them if they offer any search and reunion services.
Washington state allows for Confidential Intermediary search agencies to view your file and conduct a search. If they find the person and they agree in writing, then they will release the information to you. You don't have much control in this avenue, but at the moment it is all you have available to you (unless your agency offers it) seeing as the legislation to allow you access to your original birth certificate failed last session. (consider joining wa-care adoptee rights group).
The link below takes you to a pdf from the state on what is available - to be able to read it you would probably need to print it. WARM is one of the government approved Confidential Intermediaries (CI). I am unsure if you have to petition the superior court in the county you were adopted from to gain access/be approved to use a CI, or if the CI can do that for you. I would think there would be other government CI's as well - but I don't know them.
[URL="http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/Publications/22-704.pdf"]http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/Publications/22-704.pdf[/URL]
It will cost money - probably around $500 I would expect for the CI.
I used the CI for the search because I was sick - but my adoption records were unsealed in a petition for "good cause" in WA. When I got it back there were two boxes for the judge to choose from either unseal or CI - which is why I am unsure if you need to petition the courts or if the CI can do it.
You can also choose to go the passive search aspect like your post here but also post on the registry on this site (see tab reunite and select registry) as well as ISRR.net - both are free. The registry on this site does not search for matches - the ISRR registry is not searchable - they search for existing and future matches and contact you. Either way if you change your email address listed as contact - update it.
When you search the registry on this site exclude the day of birth and just check the entries for the month - memories fade, sometimes dates got changed, etc.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Any information appreciated! If you are my birth parent, you have a son that turned out pretty good and you have three grandsons! Hope to hear something!
Hi there! My name is Jody and there is a family rumor that my Dad had a son in Spokane in '69 or '70. My dad had Black hair, bright blue eyes, high cheekbones and a smaller nose. LOTS of hair, like Elvis!
The only info we have is the timeline and that the Mom's name was Pat.
If you share those traits, we could be half-siblings!
You can connect with me here...
Thanks!
Jody
Hello. I think this one is a long shot, as none of those facial/hair features match what I got going on. But I guess you never know. My birthdate is 8/1/69. If you could somehow confirm that birthdate, it might be worth pursuing further.
Thanks!
Eric