Advertisements
Advertisements
C seems too young to potty train. He's only 16 1/2 months. He doesn't talk a ton (he's not delayed, just about where he should be, but no sentences and probably a dozen words).
However, you can tell when he's pooping (he squats and grunts) and over the last weekend he has twice gone and sat on the toilet and pooped (in his diaper). He also lets me know when he has pooped or peed (pulls on his diaper like he's pulling it away from his skin).
I absolutely do not want to push him into something he's not ready for. However, I also don't want to hold him back from something he is ready for. He is cloth diapered, and I know they say that cloth diapered kids generally potty train earlier than those who use disposables. So how do I know when he's ready, and where do I start?
When you see him squatting and grunting take him to the bathroom and put him on the potty. Be sure to take the diaper off.
I simply took my boys to the bathroom at regular intervals. About 15 minutes is a good one to start with, especially if he doesn't potty the first try.
If he fights sitting on the potty, at all, don't push the issue. Wait a little while. He will let you know by actions when he is ready.
My mom was potty trained at 9 months because she literally would hold it in and scream until my grma put her on the potty. Of 5 kids in my family, the oldest to potty train was 18 months. We were all in cloth diapers.
Advertisements