Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hello. I've been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot. I've also read the State Department adoption requirements for a lot of countries. Still, I've got some questions.
So my boyfriend and I hope to adopt from Bosnia. He was born and grew up there and is a dual citizen. Although Bosnia generally doesn't allow international adoption, apparently they do for applicants of Bosnian origin. (Not sure if me being American would affect that.) The State Dept. lists only one adoption from Bosnia last year.
I've read some domestic Bosnian adoption forums, and it looks like the wait is long. Although part of that looks due to a lengthy wait for a home study in that country. Since it's a non-Hague country, we'll do this independently. Great because we're on a budget. Bad because we have to find our own way. Luckily, we don't have much of a language barrier problem.
We're wondering, I guess, what now?
1.) Contact the Bosnian Social Work Ministry to verify that we qualify, then get the paperwork going? Or should we rely on answers from an in-country facilitator or attorney?
2.) Can we file the I600-A before we do the home study? Do we have to specify Bosnia on it, or can we put Eastern Europe, in the event Bosnia falls through?
3.) Bosnia requires unmarried partners to live together for 5 years. We've been together on and off for 12 years but only lived together for 4. How does the home study verify this? Is it based on one's word?
4.) How does one go about finding a reputable facilitator in a country that only does independent adoption?
5.) Is it possible to visit orphanages independently and initiate adoption after forming a connection with a particular child? (I have a friend that did this in Haiti.)
6.) Does anyone know of a successful Bosnian adoption? Or other independent adoptions from less commonly talked about countries? I'd love to hear stories about the process people went through.
Thanks so much for any thoughts in advance. I'd love any advice or input.