Advertisements
Advertisements
First, I will agree that this process definitely challenges you. There is a lot of hurry-up-and-wait, a lot of mixed answers (they may as well just tell you they have no idea what is happening/has happened/is going to happen - it would make your life much easier), and a lot of angst. But... in the end, yes, worth it.
Second, we had two home studies to get certified to foster, and we had one more for an adoptive home study a couple months later when our kids' parents' rights were severed. They took about 20 minutes each - except the first one where they asked questions individually, so it took a bit longer. They also answer a lot of questions for you that you may have, and give you a general idea of what's coming up next. One thing they've never been able to answer is how long it'll take for the state to approve it. :arrow:
I would suggest getting some parenting books that focus specifically on the ages of the children you're looking into. The "What to Expect: The Toddler Years" book helped us a lot, as well as "Positive Discipline A to Z." That way you're prepared and knowledgable about discipline, and have a basic understanding of kids that age (although I stress "basic" - they can still totally shock you...).
And last, race technically does not matter - however, CPS and your licensing agency focus on the "Least Restrictive Placement" for a child. If a child is african american and they can't find a kinship placement, their next criteria will be an AA family. After that, a biracial family. Then, only after no other options are presented, will they choose a caucasian family. I completely understand the thoughts behind this - taking a child away from everything they've known and putting them into, not only a new family, but one that looks nothing like them, would be an additional trauma that should be avoided if it can. But let's face it, once they're taken away from their family, the trauma is just going to keep coming, and once they've settled (if they get a chance), any family full of love will help them realize that looks don't mean anything.
So, stick with it, have faith, and, while you wait, make yourself as prepared as possible. Best of luck to you!