Advertisements
Advertisements
Welcome!
I can't speak for your county- I am in KY. But just a friendly shout out to you as my husband and I are also doing foster-adoption due to infertility.
In our state, the only kids available for adoption only are older- mostly teens, or severe medical needs. We are only equipped for one at a time, and prefer an infant since we want the full experience and don't feel prepared to deal with some of the issues that come with older kids immediately. Because of that we are doing concurrent planning, so the infant(s) placed with us will have dual goals, and when RU is ruled out will be on track for adoption. I think it is great that others are open to older kids though! Everyone should be open to what they know they can handle. The one piece of advice I keep getting from those who've been through it- stick to your guns with what you are willing to accept in your home. Don't be afraid to say no if the situation is not what want to deal with.
I would say- based on experiences passed along to me from people I know who have taken this road- this forum is good but take it with a grain of salt. In my experience, people are more likely to post about scary or bad experiences- and there are plenty of good experiences out there too. Just make it your own journey- everyone will have a different experience with different factors affecting the outcome. As long as you keep and open mind and heart and realize you can't be in control of everything (I have issues with this :)) it will be okay! The classes were tough for us because there was a lot of negativity...but I think part of the process is to weed out or scare off those who are in it for the wrong reasons (money) or who don't understand how the system works. Stick with it! Hopefully we will both have great experiences to report to counter some of the negativity! :cheer: