Advertisements
Advertisements
So- second home study is the 10th. My CW said she will walk through and do the safety check- gave us a list of what to lock up, what to stock for first aid, etc.
She said we did not need to have the room and crib ready at that visit- but I am wondering when? How soon is too soon to start with this? We are moving our office to the basement and using that room for a nursery (we are taking 0-1 yr concurrent planning) and we need to clean the closet, move the stuff, paint, and buy furniture! I don't want to wait until the last minute- I've started picking up basic things like bottles and some baby gear, but I really want to do this room. My DH keeps saying too soon, too soon. I think he is in denial and doesn't want to lose his office. But when should you have your room ready to go?
Advertisements
I started getting items from moms I chat with on my town message board several weeks ago. Also started to empty the spare bedroom. Am bidding on a bunch of nursery items on eBay. I even purchased a few baby things that are so cute I could not resist. Then I slacked off because I had to turn my attention to job hunt. Friday we got that call I had to say no to. It was like a smack across my face and we are fast tracking finishing up the room. We have to move work out stuff downstairs, clean out closet, etc., etc., etc. Don't wait!! Do what you can now. It's better to be ready. Plus - it's fun! (As long as you acknowledge that there is a possibility the room sits empty for a short while.)
We have yet to even start classes, but we have started cleaning out closets getting our cleaning supplies and medicines locked up. We got an excellent deal on a crib which we couldn't pass up. I started stocking up on clothes from friends and family and the 50% off deal at once upon a child for different ages and seasons! We are taking our time, but I don't want to feel rushed so I figured we get it started and then finish what we need when we learn more about what we have to do!
I don't think it's too soon.
Our state requires you to have a bed ready by the time of your final inspection, but that's how you're required to have. We have experienced foster parents come in to speak to us at the start of each GPS class, and in 5 weeks we've had 3 of them tell the class that they had to make a last-minute run to the store for EVERYTHING else when they got a placement. One poor man said that the first night their baby came home his wife stayed home with the LO while he spent several hours at Wal-mart trying to figure out sizing and diaper labels. Granted, if you get a baby, your still going to have to run out and get diapers, formula, etc, but it pays to be as prepared as possible.
We took things slow to get the room ready but then the instructor told us that with the shortage of homes in our area we might want to expect to have placements sooner than the usual timeline.
We ended up having our room ready to go before the home certification process started and started getting calls for placement right after the first home visit (there are 3 visits in my county).
Advertisements
WestCoastHappy- that is kind of what ours has indicated- no guarantee but she has seen many cases where someone isn't even official but they make an exception if the need is great and they don't have enough options.
In some ways that is thrilling- in others I want to have more time to prepare! This lack of knowing the timing is going to drive me crazy I think!
I also think maybe it helps prepare you for months of "unknowns"- I just know I will want to be able to get a routine going for baby ? when he/she arrives, as much as possible. And I want to be prepared as I can without knowing the gender and exact age. We've been told a newborn is likely since that is when so many come into care and need concurrent homes. But anything can happen! I have a friend who is planning to through us a shower of sorts, and at first I resisted but now that I see how much stuff I need I think I'm going to take her up on it. It won't hurt to register for basics and get a few sizes in diapers and clothes. I can always re-gift if we get things that don't work, or hold on in case we go through a few placements and need different items.
We went shopping for our safety kit items last night- seemed silly to buy child locks for a baby and medicines you can't use until a child is older, but I get that the list is for all ages. We had to come up with a creative solution for our wetbar...we are not huge drinkers but do have some things for social occasions and not a good way to lock them up. Now we've done all that and I am ready after tomorrow's visit to start clearing out that room! :)
We had the room ready prior to our first home visit. Other family members who had adopted said it's never too early. It just felt good getting things ready, making a space that would be just for our future children. Plus, it was one thing we didn't have to worry about for later.
BS1979, For safety items like outlet plugs and stuff you can always get that at the last minute or right when you get a placement, especially if you have a baby.
What I've found super helpful was pajamas. The 4 kids we've gotten all came at dinner time and when we were able to get them settled at our house and ready for bed having a stash of nice pajamas was really helpful. 2 of them came with pajamas that were filthy, stinky, holy, etc. The other 2 came with nothing.
After they're in bed the first night my husband or I run out to the store to get stuff for the next day if we need but the pajamas are really, really helpful. I got some for each size and gender- except babies, I just got some gender neutral ones. It was a little spendy to just go out and buy that many pajamas (shopped the clearance rack or hit up Costco) but so worth it.
So if it helps with the planning- focus on stuff you'd need to get through one night. Diaper cream (all kids also came to me with really bad diaper rashes), bath stuff, bedding, etc.
Each child did come with diapers already, when they call to place the child I ask if they're coming with diapers or if I need to run out before they arrive to get the right size, rather than stockpiling diapers in each size. Plus my son was cloth diapered and I still have those if needed in a pinch.
Have fun getting the room ready!
Advertisements
I was also licensed for 0-12 Pre-Adoptive home for either gender. I am very organized and like to be prepared! My entire nursery was ready mid-July and I was licensed mid September. I did the Peter Rabbit them from pottery barn kids so it was perfect for either gender. I thought I was sooooo prepared and then I got the call exactly a month after being licensed for my STBAD (8 months old) and realized there was so much I needed to do! From ordering/installing baby gates, fresh sheets on the bed, installing carseats, putting together playpen, buying/organizing clothes, etc.! I say do as much as you can before! I can only imagine what it would have been like if I was as prepared as I was!!!!
I HIGHLY recommend diapers.com. Order by 3PM Tuesday and you will have it Wednesday morning and every order over $50 ships free! I am a bargain shopper and their prices on most things are great or a few cents more!
Hey there do you mind if I asked what the list of things was to lock up and first aid supplies? My husband and I are currently doing out education (we live in British Columbia, Canada) so our home study may be a bit different but I am just interested to know so I could have a bit of an idea! I hope all is going well with your adoption!
So- second home study is the 10th. My CW said she will walk through and do the safety check- gave us a list of what to lock up, what to stock for first aid, etc.
She said we did not need to have the room and crib ready at that visit- but I am wondering when? How soon is too soon to start with this? We are moving our office to the basement and using that room for a nursery (we are taking 0-1 yr concurrent planning) and we need to clean the closet, move the stuff, paint, and buy furniture! I don't want to wait until the last minute- I've started picking up basic things like bottles and some baby gear, but I really want to do this room. My DH keeps saying too soon, too soon. I think he is in denial and doesn't want to lose his office. But when should you have your room ready to go?
Hey there do you mind if I asked what the list of things was to lock up and first aid supplies? My husband and I are currently doing out education (we live in British Columbia, Canada) so our home study may be a bit different but I am just interested to know so I could have a bit of an idea! I hope all is going well with your adoption!
Hi I’m not sure if you still use this but I’m currently thinking of fostering it’s been a thought for about 2 years now but circumstances made me put it off. I’m 25 and a single male I was just wondering how long the process takes to get certified and through the classes I know it’s probably a little different in my state and country but I’m just looking for a ballpark and also if you’ve gotten any advice what’s a reasonable annual salary to support a child my dad raised me and my sister in California alone so I know it’s possible. And my last question is did you meet anyone in the classes you took that you made friends with. Working full time I know I will need help with child care and I think other foster parents would be ideal with payment of course TIA for any advice and I hope all has been going well with your journey
If you’re fostering, you should start right away. I ended up fostering a baby who was supposed to stay with his bio mom. I had his brother and the mom was a victim of domestic violence.
Advertisements