Advertisements
Advertisements
In my state, even the automatic disqualifier of DV has to be a felony charge, not a misdemeanor. That said, anything that falls under a DV charge will be given very serious consideration.
Drug charges older than five years, usually aren't an issue (where I am).
Advertisements
In addition to what has been said, another big one is just failing to complete the licensing procedure. Family members start the process, but at some point their progress stops and they stall out... time passes, and they're no longer considered as a resource because they still haven't gotten approval.
I've seen a number of cases where family members expressed strong and repeated verbal interest in custody, but simply never filed the paperwork or else failed to complete an important step in the process even with reminders given to them.
Sometimes the family members seem genuinely surprised when they get denied as a result, like they felt they'd just be given the child no matter what and they saw the paperwork as a useless formality. Other times... it seems like maybe they were ambivalent about having custody in the first place, but now the decision was "out of their hands" instead of having to say no.
It's incredibly sad to me because it's so preventable, but a number of times I've seen family members denied because so much time had passed and they'd simply failed to take the necessary steps to secure placement. Eventually, they run out of time, the children can't stay in limbo forever waiting for paperwork to be filed, and the state has to look elsewhere.
There are cases where the family can have old criminal charges against them but the agency doesn't deny them placement because of this. They deny the family placement of the child because those family members were aware of the living conditions or the neglect of the child for months or even years and never took steps to help the kids or report the conditions to CPS. In a way, the agency viewed these family members are "participants" in the neglect and refused to even proceed with home evals on them.
2 of my cases family member were denied b/c it wasn't in the best interests of the children. I think it was feared family lived & associated with bios so closely that the kids could have ended back at with bios most of the time.
Well none of those reasons for denial sound close to home here. I made the call on day one, unfortunately it was after hours on a Friday and mom was not around to inquire for family names so that is why she was placed. Case worker contacted me on the Monday following me and we started the process then. My grand daughter has no medical problems. I keep in contact with the case worker and the supervisor every other day and we ask for regular visitation even though we live out of town. She knows us very well, still recognizes us when she sees us and cries when we leave. Like I said there is no significant criminal history, not even a speeding ticket in the last ten years. And definitely no past with CPS... So, I don't know what the hold up is but I have heard from some on here that in the spectrum of these things and living in AZ, 2.5 months really is about normal for an intercounty transfer. So, hopefully we hear from someone soon. We have done everything we have been asked to do and will do more if asked, this is our little grand baby, our "bean"...we will never give up!
Advertisements
himNmeplus9
Well none of those reasons for denial sound close to home here. I made the call on day one, unfortunately it was after hours on a Friday and mom was not around to inquire for family names so that is why she was placed. Case worker contacted me on the Monday following me and we started the process then. My grand daughter has no medical problems. I keep in contact with the case worker and the supervisor every other day and we ask for regular visitation even though we live out of town. She knows us very well, still recognizes us when she sees us and cries when we leave. Like I said there is no significant criminal history, not even a speeding ticket in the last ten years. And definitely no past with CPS... So, I don't know what the hold up is but I have heard from some on here that in the spectrum of these things and living in AZ, 2.5 months really is about normal for an intercounty transfer. So, hopefully we hear from someone soon. We have done everything we have been asked to do and will do more if asked, this is our little grand baby, our "bean"...we will never give up!
Our ICPC took 11 months only because the FP's tried to appeal the placement with us. We had to become licensed foster parents in our state (FL) before we could obtain placement but FL dropped the ball by not sending our license to ID (where our niece was). Check and find out if something is holding up the ICPC transaction. I hear horror stories about paperwork being left on someones desk so keep in touch with the SW. We eventually ended up contacting the Governor's office and the ICPC contact person in our states capital to get status. Our SW was no help and could care less. I think it's cheaper for them to leave the kids in FC where they are then move them across state lines. Also, they get extra $$$ for adoption in their state via FC. They wouldn't even let our state handle the adoption! This caused our daughter not to get the FC benefit here (FL) of college $$$. It sucked!
Good luck!
hkolln
They wouldn't even let our state handle the adoption! This caused our daughter not to get the FC benefit here (FL) of college $$$.
I believe that's actually federal law -- the sending state retains jurisdiction and fiscal responsibility (and therefore only the sending state can finalize the adoption).
Actually when we did our icpc we were told by the Florida sw that it was up to the sending state as to jurisdiction of adoption. They could opt to have it finalized in Florida or Idaho and they actually refused to let jurisdiction be moved. We even tried to change their minds because of the better benefits for our daughter to have the jurisdiction here. Idaho cps did not care. Maybe it's changed but back then it was their discretion. Also they had to allow a temporary jurisdiction here for our court hearing (we finalized here) but they would not allow Florida to get credit for the adoption as they receive money for every adoption finalized in their state. By letting Florida get it they would lose the funds but our daughter lost her four year scholarships for college due to this.