Advertisements
Advertisements
I don't think people understand that adoption through LDS Family Services and foster care are really two different things. In one, most people hope to adopt a healthy, newborn (I assume). In the other, people hope to add one or more children. They are most likely not going to be a newborn or "perfect". They will have a history of something - neglect, prenatal drug use, etc.
I swore I'd never adopt from foster care. Too much risk. I also would never have done a domestic adoption. We already had children. We ended up doing what we felt strongly about. Adoption from foster care!
Funny when you have one plan and Heavenly Father has another. :D We have a wonderful sibling group of three who we will finalize on in about 4 weeks! They are exactly the kids who were meant for us. I have no doubt. We never would have found them through LDS Family Services.
Advertisements
My wife and I opted to go the county route also. We were licensed as foster parents in December. Since then we have fostered 6 kids. The first was the day after we got our license. We now have a 2 yo girl that is going through RU. On Friday we are getting placement of a 9 mo boy that will have his TPR hearing this month. He has been fostered by a wonderful family since he was 3 wks old, they are older and have already raised 4 adopted kids. The past week we have boon doing transitional visits and the FPs could not have been more helpful, respectful, and loving.
We chose to go through the county rather than LDSSS because we truly want to help as many kids as possible. If we can make a difference in a kids life, even if they are only in our home a short time, we feel that is an incredible gift to give. We also would love a sibling group, we have found we are better with the babies that are beyond the newborn stage by a few months. The 2 year old has been a wonderful blessing, she is adorable and smart as a whip. When our first placement, one that the county had initially represented as going to be a probable fost/adopt placement, was placed with a relative Littlest Miss was instrumental in our healing.
Most of the people we have dealt with at the county and state level have been responsive and honest. We feel we are following the path we are meant to follow to eventually get our forever family.
We also did not like the idea of being placed in a big binder of hopeful parents hoping to be chosen by a mother/father. We like that our placements come from our community and at anytime of day or night. Weird, yes, but we are a little weird ;)