Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I surrendered my newborn son to adoption in 1972...at a time when abortions were legal in California. I can tell you for a fact that my decision to place my son for adoption had absolutely nothing to do with my decision not to terminate my pregnancy. I desperately tried in vain for seven months to find a way I could raise him, but without any emotional support or financial assistance from my parents, (I was 16 when I got pregnant, 17 when I gave birth) there was just no way I could pull it off. I made the decision to relinquish my son when I was seven and a half months pregnant when it became obvious that I was caught between a rock and a hard place. Back in that time period, juveniles were not allowed to rent their own apartments or even obtain jobs without parental consent...hence I gave up.
I detest how the adoption industry is doing this whole "adoption, not abortion" option thing...as if. These are two entirely separate issues and decisions that each woman with an unplanned pregnancy must decide on her own.
The other thing that is false about this "option" is that not all adoptees feel positive about having been born and then relinquished for adoption. My son is one of individuals, for example. He's come right out and said it to his adoptive parents several times, as well as to me. I'm not sure how he feels about it right now, but for many years, I know he wished I had aborted him...because he told me those exact words.