Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband is from Missouri and my two children and I are in the beginning stages of immigration as we wait for our cr1 visa. This process will take approximately 8-10 months and as it's our goal for my husband to adopt the kids, we were hoping he could go ahead and get it done now rather than waiting until we can move there to do it.
The biological father of my children has no rights/access and I have a legal no access agreement signed by him. (He abandoned us when my youngest was an infant and we have not seen him at all in almost 2 years)
Is it possible for a US (Missouri) Citizen stepparent to adopt foreign (Canadian) stepchildren? Does anyone know what the steps would be or what the cost would be? We aren't sure where to start.
Thank you!
Hello, make complete sure you have a signed statement by your EX husband stating that he is giving up rights!! My husbands Ex wife took him to court to get her access put back in place! That stalled our adoption process by a ton. Also its going to cost anywhere between 5 to 7 grand and that is NOT including lawyer fees. It can be done but not before they are US citizens. Laws here and laws in canada are extremely different! What applies there will not apply here and additional information may be needed.
Advertisements