Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm considering doing foster care for infants (under 1) in Illinois (Chicago suburbs). Does anyone know if the need is there for this? Is it better to go with a private agency such as LCFS or the closest DCFS office?
I guess it depends on who you talk to. When we started the licensing process, we were not even given the option of using DCFS and instead given the name of an agency (when I called the 1-800 # on the website). We chose a different agency.
Our plan/goal was to foster with hopes of adopting a little one (4 years or under.) We were told it could take years before we would even get a placement and much longer before we would likely adopt.
Friends of mine have inquired with different agencies and been told they only need families for older kids.
I do know that they like concurrent homes for infants because it's about 50% of the time that RU does not occur. A lot of kids go to relatives, but a lot get adopted and most often my their foster families.
I am not sure what agency you are referring to. In IL, there is not preference given to foster homes with DCFS vs. agency, although some agencies specialize in older kids or large sibling groups or therapeutic homes.
My actual experience is that once we got licensed, it took 4 months for us to get a placement (an infant) and we will probably we able to adopt her. We have also been called 2 more times for infant placements while we have had her (which I declined b/c one infant at a time is enough for me with my 4 bios).
Feel free to send me a message if you have more questions. I am obviously not super experienced as a foster parent in IL. I would go to an agency's orientation to get some questions answered too.
Advertisements
I am in IL and we use DCFS. We were given the option of who we wanted to use. There are a few private places around here as well as DCFS. However, it does not matter which one you use (where I am anyway) because they rotate for placements. At least, that is what our worker told me. We are open to one 0-2 year old girl. We were told that there could be a long wait since we are that spicific on what we are open for.
We went thru DCFS and started this process on September 8th and today we found out that we are open for children (took exactly two months to the day from the first PRIDE class to license). Our friend that was in class with us went thru a private agency and they are still waiting on their last meeting with worker to get to the final stage for license. They said that it could be after the first of the year for them. I would call around and ask questions.
Mommy2my2boys
However, it does not matter which one you use (where I am anyway) because they rotate for placements. At least, that is what our worker told me.
Same here. That's what they said in the PRIDE classes.
I can't comment on availability of babies... because we haven't had a placement yet. But that's because it's taking forever to get licensed. We're with an agency. We've been waiting for DCFS to process MH's background check since June. (Mine is already done.) Sounds like Mommy2my2boys got licensed faster going straight through DCFS....
Add in the lack of response or really slow response to emails/texts... Makes me not overly thrilled with our agency so far.
Mommy2my2boys
However, it does not matter which one you use (where I am anyway) because they rotate for placements.
I also was told this.
When we called the 800# we were given a list of agencies in the area. Due to where we are at (physical location wise) we are right on the border between two area, so was actually give additional agencies to call. DCFS was never given as an option, but I also never asked.
As for babies, I'm in a different part of the state. What I do know is that for slightly older kids, at least, they seem to come in waves. We may get a two or three calls very close together, then nothing for a few months. Also, in the couple years we have been doing this we have only had one call for a baby. We did recieve and accept a call for a 2 and 3 year old. Not exactly babies, but definantly the younger end of the age range. Our license however is for 0-18. This may be why we have gotten calls for all ages. I was also told during the call concerning the baby that they usually give their foster families who have been doing this for a while the first opportunity for babies. This may also explain why we didn't get a call in the first year.
We are also in Cook co. and we have been called with 3 different opportunities to foster infants (all under 10 mos. old). We will also be adopting our current placement who has been with us since birth :)
Advertisements
We are in Lake Co and are finishing up our PRIDE classes this month. We are looking to foster to adopt 0-4 and it sounds like there is a chance we could get a new born. We are using an agency, our PRIDE instructors said in the Chicago area the preference is to go private due to the wait being longer through DCFS.
For those of you that have placements that ended with RU in illinois, how long were the children with you? Were you able to keep in touch with them afterwards?
I guess it depends on who you talk to. When we started the licensing process, we were not even given the option of using DCFS and instead given the name of an agency (when I called the 1-800 # on the website). We chose a different agency.
Our plan/goal was to foster with hopes of adopting a little one (4 years or under.) We were told it could take years before we would even get a placement and much longer before we would likely adopt.
Friends of mine have inquired with different agencies and been told they only need families for older kids.
I do know that they like concurrent homes for infants because it's about 50% of the time that RU does not occur. A lot of kids go to relatives, but a lot get adopted and most often my their foster families.
I am not sure what agency you are referring to. In IL, there is not preference given to foster homes with DCFS vs. agency, although some agencies specialize in older kids or large sibling groups or therapeutic homes.
My actual experience is that once we got licensed, it took 4 months for us to get a placement (an infant) and we will probably we able to adopt her. We have also been called 2 more times for infant placements while we have had her (which I declined b/c one infant at a time is enough for me with my 4 bios).
Feel free to send me a message if you have more questions. I am obviously not super experienced as a foster parent in IL. I would go to an agency's orientation to get some questions answered too.
Hello- new to all of this, just starting the process.. I would be open to any age, however, would you mind telling me which agency you go through? I just want to find one (or some) to see options, legitimacy, area, etc. My e-mail is reeeves09@gmail.com. I'm not familiar with messaging on here, so HOPEFULLY you see this. And Congrats so very much to you and your family!